Ch. 8: Congratulations

Start from the beginning

"W-What?  W-W-Why would you want me to do that?", Normani said as her eyes became glossy. 

Music was one of Normani's only ways to express herself and escape from reality.  Normani felt as though she was loosing a part of herself due to Simon's news, because music has been in her life ever since she was young.  She remembers when her dad first taught her how to play the piano and how her mom would sing along to whatever song Normani played.  She remembers that she would practice for hours in preparation for the mini concert she would have during the Holidays for the whole Hamilton family in the small living room of the Hamilton household.  Each time she played during the holidays, every one of her family members would tell her how great she is, and how one day she would be a star and to not forget them when she became famous.  Normani honestly missed all the love and support she got as a child.  But this love and support quickly changed into hatred and disgust once she had came out to her family, especially when she came out to her mom and dad. 

Normani was told that being gay was simply unnatural and that she wasn't gay, she just simply couldn't find the right guy.  And at that point, Derrick and Andrea Hamilton barely acknowledged Normani except for when they felt they could "save" her by telling her that the Bible says that being with someone of the same sex is a sin and she would rot in hell if she doesn't repent and cut out this foolishness.  However, despite all of this, Normani still loved her parents and used her music as a way to feel connected with them.  Even though, they didn't want to feel connected with her.

Simon smirked, knowing that he struck a nerve.  Feeling victorious, he then stated in a professional and proper tone, "Well Normani, as you already know, you are Epic Record's top selling artist and your latest album has been in the top five Billboard charts for the past 10 months.  But, and I mean it is a big but, you haven't produced any new music in a while.  As a result, your fans are beginning to become bored and are flocking to other, newer artists.  Not to mention, your lack of song production has resulted in a huge decrease in revenue for myself and this company as a whole".

Normani stared at Simon with eyes that resembled the fiery pits of hell.  Normani was over Simon and this fucking fake ass industry at this point, and she was ready to go off.  Tired of the bullshit explanation that Simon just have her, Normani stood up abruptly, which made her rolling chair slam into the back wall of the conference room. 

Everyone's eyes widened and Ally was honestly concerned because she has never witnessed Normani this angry.  If Ally was going to be 100% honest with herself she would admit that she is truly, and utterly, scaredt.

Unlike the rest of the occupants in the room, Simon stared at Normani with a blank expression on his face and a stoic look in his eyes. 

"Cut the crap Simon!  You know damn well my fans aren't bored of my music considering the fact that you and the board of directors decided to have me on tour for 8 of the fucking 10 months my album has been out!  So obviously someone is buying my music because they are paying a fucking arm and leg to attend my concerts and go to meet and greets!  How dare you disrespect them like that!  They have always rided for me, even when my voice used to crack during live performances because I wasn't experienced enough, and because I never received the fucking resources to get a decent vocal coach!  I wonder how that happens?" .  Normani then stopped her rant and stroked her chin pretending to think.

"Ohhh!  I know!  I sucked ass when I first became an artist, because the cheap, heartless, and inconsiderate bastard in front of me, didn't want to pay someone a smidge of the millions of dollars he has!!  But yet, you supply Dinah over here, and three other artists with myself as well as provide funds for all the vocal coaches and choreographers they need!  That shit's fucked up because you and I both know I have been here longer than any of these new, talentless artists you just fucking signed, and I always rode for you, no matter how fucked up and twisted you were and still are.  So you can kiss my black ass because I'm done with this industry bullshit!"