Chapter 14 - Discovered

---Christina’s POV---

Rain tickled softly on the canopy, dropping down to the floor below and churning the sand to mud that clung to my paws. I yowled in annoyance but it couldn’t be helped; I was close to another pride’s borders and shifting now meant presenting myself in a more vulnerable position.

A rather big drop splat on the middle of my muzzle, making me shake my head before I hissed sharply at the sky and decided to take cover until the worst of the storm had passed. When I spotted a small cave, I slithered inside with little problem before starting to lick at the wet fur.

The heady smell of fresh rain and moist plants brushed my nose with each gust of wind as I continued to groom myself. Occasionally I caught the scent of deer enduring the storm or the odd bird that decided to brave the winds.

“What I wouldn’t give for a warm bed and some shelter right now…” I mused, feeling Eva’s agreement almost instantly. Both of us didn’t like this weather at all, at least not when we were in the middle of it.

A small noise in the forest stood out, halting me as I was just leaning back to stretch before I slowly turned to the entrance of the cave. Four pair of paws were standing outside, waiting as a pair of feet were walking closer and stopped just outside the cave.

My whiskers twitched, a low yowl rumbling through my throat as a warning to whoever was starting to crouch outside. If they were thinking to pull me out of my dry hidey-hole, they had another thing coming.

I caught a whiff of nerves on the male standing just outside, obviously wary to poke his hand inside while I heard a deep growl coming higher of the ground than I expected. The feet shuffled a bit before the man spoke up.

“Just come out, I promise we don’t mean any harm. We just want to know why a Nomad stumbled on our pride lands without presenting itself.” I shuffled my weight a bit but didn’t move another muscle. I was in my right to stay where I was and they knew it.

The paws moved restlessly while I heard another pair scrape over the rock that formed the cave. Letting out another yowl, I slowly curled my lips up to hiss, letting them know that I didn’t quite appreciate being harassed like this.

“Just…please just follow us to our pride. We don’t harm Nomads but several Nomadic cats have reported the opposite from neighboring prides.” Now that caught my attention.

“He’s telling the truth…but I don’t think it’s the complete truth.” I relayed to Eva, who grumbled as a reply. Suddenly, the light disappeared out of the cave, startling me before I looked up, staring straight into a lion’s eye as it peered inside.

With my breath stuck in my throat, I watched avidly, waiting to see what it would do. Surprisingly, it seemed as shocked as I was before it growled lowly, and retreated.

“They know. Of our race I mean. He recognized what we are and is most likely informing his companions.”Eva hushed while I crawled a bit backwards, keeping my eyes on the bare feet of the only shifted lion.