Chapter 7 - First trial

---Collin’s POV---

I kept an eye on Christina as she was guided away from the main room where several doctors were assessing newly arrived Nomads and pride members. It was fairly calm right now, only one other Nomad was being looked after as she was told to raise her arms and move her joints to see if something was hindering her.

The nurse guided Christina to the changing rooms, where she would supervise and see if she had any wounds or scars they had to check out. The dread in my stomach grew heavier with every passing second and my fears were quickly realized when the nurse rushed back out of the room, a shaky hand clasped over her mouth and wide eyes blinking to remove the tears.

Unfolding my arms, I took a step forwards when Dad frowned and walked over from the other Nomad to see what was wrong. Lincon, Antonio, Helen and Dimitri shared a confused look as they all huddled together close to where father was talking to the nurse, who was shaking her head before she sat down on an available chair.

Dad looked up as I walked closer and he curled a finger in the air, signaling me over. I quickly made my way towards him as he thought about what the nurse had said for a moment, his finger tapping against his bottom lip before looking at me.

“What’s wrong dad?” I asked, looking from the nurse to the room where Christina still was. Dad sighed slightly and shook his head. “I don’t know for sure since Miss Rain here isn’t exactly speaking coherent but I think that it had something to do with that Nomad.”

I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm and scowled at him. “No, really?” I gasped in fake shock, making father laugh for a moment before he looked back at the changing rooms, his expression slightly torn.

“We need to know what’s wrong with the Nomad that made Ms. Rain nearly faint and react this way but I don’t want to barge in and offend the girl or invade on her privacy.” He explained, waving his hand in front of him before looking back when the door cracked slightly open.

“If you guys give me some sporting clothes I can show you what the fuss is about.” Christina’s voice sounded calm but Dad and I shared a look when we picked up on how it sounded rather shaky, as if she was preparing herself for stepping out of that room.

Helen was the first to react and quickly jumped out of the room, appearing back in less than a minute with a pair of shorts and a sporting top that covered the top of the chest till just midway the ribs. She cautiously peeked her head in the room and gave Christina the clothes before she walked back out.

The shock in her eyes wasn’t really soothing my nerves, at all.

After a few seconds, the door creaked open and Christina slowly walked in with an expression that clearly stated she didn’t want to but had no choice. The other nurse walked by to place the tray filled with bandages and scissors away on the shelve next to Christina. When she passed her, the nurse went to turn her head, probably to tell her to go ahead and sit down.

The tray fell on the floor with a bang while the nurse stared wide eyed at Christina’s back, making her sigh before her eyes flashed towards me. The emotion in them was unreadable before she blanked her face and showed us her back.