Chapter 3

"Seokjin, your dad and I are going to be gone for a while okay? Now you be good and stay with your grandma," a woman told Seokjin, who was only 4 years old. She smiled but even at a young age, Seokjin knew that she didn't mean it.

"Are you done yet?" a man a few feet away muttered at the woman. He didn't even say anything to the child, almost ignoring him.

The woman nodded then patted Seokjin's head before walking away. She just told her son that she and her husband are going to be gone for a while but Seokjin knew better than this.

(A Few Nights Ago)

It was late at night and Seokjin had witnessed his parents in an argument. It was obvious that they didn't want Seokjin to hear because they were doing their best to keep their voice low but Seokjin saw and heard everything.

He made sure that they can't see him and listened carefully.

"I just can't stand it anymore," his dad whispered angrily with his hands thrown in the air, "Do you know how embarrassing it is to be with him? It was okay when he was still a baby but things have changed. Ever since you gave birth to him, everyone's been avoiding us, like there's something wrong with us, like we're not even humans."

His mother scoffed, "Oh, stop it. You think you're suffering so much? You don't know what I've been through. You've only suffered half of it since you work. I am the one who has to take care of him, clean him, and feed him."

They continue their argument and Seokjin was going to go back to bed when his mother shouted.

"I NEVER ASKED FOR A MUTE SON!!!"

Seokjin flinched at the loudness and could hear his father yell at his mother to quiet down. He's too afraid to move now, so he remained hidden and the next words gave him nightmares later that night.

"We'll just move and leave him behind. We can have another child, a normal child. A child who can speak."

(Back to the Current Day)

Seokjin grabbed his mother's dress, wrinkling it a bit. His mother turned around and Seokjin begged with his eyes for her to stay.

"Seokjin! Let go! You're ruining my dress!" she scolded him, yanking his hands away, "Please, Seokjin, just go back to your grandma." She pointed at the older woman on the porch.

Since they were his parents, Seokjin couldn't let go, clinging onto her arm this time. He trembled as his eyes flooded and his nose became snotty. No... he doesn't want to lose his parents.

He doesn't want to be abandoned.

Seokjin gasped when his father picked him up and threw him over his shoulder, carrying him inside the house and into his room. When he placed him on the wooden floor, he whispered, "Please, don't make this harder for your me and your mother."

His father turned to leave and Seokjin chased after him, stumbling over his own feet. He ran with all his might but was no match to his dad's long strides. His grandma cried and held him, stopping him from running after his parents. He struggled to get out of the arms but he's only a child, weak and broken.

He reached his arms out, crying as he watched his parents disappear from his sight..... forever.

He's been abandoned.

~~

Seokjin forces his eyes open as he jerks awake, panting hard. He felt his forehead and found it drenched with sweat. Another nightmare. Well, more like a memory replaying. He calmed himself down, telling himself that it was all in the past. He's doing okay...