six

SHE STOOD IN SILENCE for a moment or so. Genevieve was almost in a trance, staring longingly at the door in front of her. Never had she felt this way. It had seemed so odd, the way she hadn't frozen up or cried in his presence. He had made her feel something, something beyond anything she had ever felt before. Genevieve almost felt saddened by his departure.

She was shaken from her reverie as Mary wrapped a strong arm around her shoulders. "And who was that fine man you seemed so cozy with?" Mary stared at the tiny, innocent girl that had made a place in her heart. When Mary had stepped out of the kitchen to tend to a customer, she was shocked to see Genevieve successfully handling the man. He was large-with impeccable muscle mass-and she was shocked to see how well Genevieve had taken his presence in. The two had even embraced each other; Mary knew that her little Genevieve had fallen into the fate of those captured by love at first sight.

Genevieve turned beet red just at the mention of Giovanni. He had left her body buzzing and an odd heat in her core. She felt almost aroused, and that simply allowed her to wallow in embarrassment even further. "I-I..." she fumbled for something to say, something to take away the blush from her cheeks and keep her dignity in tact. "He was just a c-customer, Mary." She couldn't help but wring her fingers as she thought of a decent reply.

Mary snorted, a short chuckle escaping her parted lips. "Oh darling, you don't have to make up little lies with me." She sighed blissfully, the nostalgia of it all pushing itself through her mind. "I remember when Jason and I had first met. He had looked at me just like that man had looked at you." She grabbed Genevieve's hands as a smile lit up her face, "Now, tell me who he is and when and if you'll see him again."

Genevieve escaped an answer when Harvey sprinted over to her with wide, ready eyes. "My Evie!" He wrapped himself around her legs as he stomped his feet. Harvey was extremely possessive over Genevieve and hated even the thought of sharing his best friend. Genevieve couldn't imagine what was going through his head after seeing her and Giovanni.

Genevieve hoisted Harvey up and into her arms, where he then nuzzled his face into the junction between her neck and shoulder. "It's okay my little prince." She caressed his unruly curls gently as she cooed out sweet assurances. After all, Harvey was the only other man that belonged in her life other than her grandfather and Jason. Giovanni's face instantly exploded behind her eyelids, and what was she to do but blush and attempt to forget.

Harvey raised his head from her neck and rubbed his running nose. Genevieve's eyes watered as she watched him trying to hold back the tears in his little golden eyes. "You're my Evie, right?" He sniffled weakly as he stared at Genevieve hopefully. She sent him a warm, benevolent smile to ease his nerves. "Of course I am, Harvey. Of course I am."

Genevieve felt guilt course through her veins. She wished she was someone else's as well, but it'd be best she push that to the side for now.

• • •

As the night dwindled by, Genevieve patiently awaited her grandfather's arrival. He was supposed to pick her up in ten minutes, and Genevieve was over come by exhaustion. Her eyelids felt weighed down as she slumped over on the table with Harvey sitting beside her. Harvey hummed happily as he munched on carrot sticks and colored in his coloring book. "Evie, Evie, Evie!" He ejaculated as he bopped to and fro in his seat.

She slowly rose from her light slumber, "Yes?" Genevieve could barely force her eyes to stay open as she regarded Harvey's excitable form. She was even too fatigued for her mind to verge its paths and think of Giovanni. Well, until now that is.