For Me

ALERT: Takes place when Aelin told Lysandra she was going to die.

--------

Lysandra

"What did Baba Yellowlegs say to her?" Aedion asked over breakfast after Aelin and Rowan had disappeared.

Lysandra had been secretly asking herself the same question, knowing it must have been something life-changing to make Aelin react in such a way.

"I'm not sure," Dorian answered to their disappointment. "Before now I hadn't even considered that Baba had threatened to reveal any other secrets than my own. It never occurred to me that she would have threatened Aelin as well."

Lysandra focused on her cold breakfast, stirring the spoon inside the bowl of porridge. Something about the entire situation snagged something deep inside of her, almost completely convincing her that this might come up later.

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of a door clicking shut, and near-silent footsteps approaching.

Rowan appeared, surprisingly alone, his face pale in a way she had never seen. He walked towards them, and Lysandra mentally prepared herself for what news he might bear.

"Lysandra, Aelin would like to speak with you," He informed quietly. A quiet that was different than the dangerous tone Fae warriors used that usually meant death. No, this quiet was more out of...shock. Fear.

Lysandra nodded, worry and anxiety clenching her heart like a fist as Rowan quickly shifted and flew off into the morning sky. Slowly, she rose from her chair and made her way down to Aelin and Rowan's room, ignoring Aedion's watchful gaze.

Lysandra new something was especially wrong when she smelled the vomit coming from the bathing room. Whether Aelin was ill or something else entirely, Lysandra knew it took a lot to make Aelin react in such a way.

Lysandra swallowed down the bile in her throat as she knocked on the door to the bedroom. "Aelin?" She asked. "It's Lysandra."

The knob turned and the door opened, revealing Aelin, her face pale and her eyes red. Lysandra's heart dropped to her stomach at the sight of her dearest friend--who was one of the strongest people she knew--looking like she was breaking.

"We need to talk," Aelin said hoarsely, stepping out of the doorway for Lysandra to walk inside.

"Of course, what is it?" Lysandra asked gently.

Aelin rubbed at her face, her shoulders slumping forward as if she had taken off a mask that she rarely let go of. "You might want to sit down for this."

Dread curled in the bottom of her stomach, but Lysandra obliged, and Aelin sat down next to her, taking a deep breath.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone," Aelin whispered. "Anyone."

Lysandra swallowed, but nodded, preparing herself for anything.

Aelin took another shuddering breath, her eyes full of pain. "I'm going to die, Lysandra."

--------

Aelin

Saying the words aloud almost seemed to make the situation feel more real. When she had solved the riddle earlier, everything since had gone by in a blur. Rowan trying to get her to tell him what was wrong, her hurling her guts up in the bathing room, and every step and breath afterwards.

It was partially why Aelin had needed Lysandra to be the one she told--if anyone could understand it would be the shifter. The other reason had to do with Lysandra's...talents.

Aelin's friend was silent for a moment, her green eyes wide and current face pale. "What?" She breathed.

Aelin swallowed, her throat welling up. "Please don't make me repeat it," Aelin pleaded, her voice breaking.

Lysandra put her hand to the face of the skin she wore. "I don't understand," She restated. "Why, and how, and when, and where--"

Aelin rubbed at her face again, her hands shaking. "Nameless is my price, Lysandra," She started, her voice trembling as tears started to fall. Aelin reached for the Wyrdkey, flipping it over for Lysandra to see the three marks engraved on the back. "I never knew what it meant until now, but both Brannon and Baba Yellowlegs gave me that phrase. I only just realized what it meant." Aelin pointed a shaking finger at the first mark on the key. "Maeve informed me this spring that this mark is Brannon's mark; the mark of the Nameless. This mark has shown up on my brow when I've fought the Valg in the past. A glowing mark exactly like this one. All my life Elena and the gods have watched and prepared me. Everything they did was to get me ready for what was to come. I never understood until now, but this entire time they've been pampering me like an animal to the slaughterhouse." Aelin squeezed her eyes shut as tears continued to make their way down her face. "I am Nameless, and I am the price to banishing Erawan and his asshole princes back to their realm."

Lysandra's mouth opened, as if she were going to say something, but she quickly closed it, her own silent tears falling. The shifter lifted a hand to her forehead. "Oh gods," She breathed, her voice raw. "Does--does Rowan know?"

Aelin's heart cracked at the thought of Rowan, who now thought she was pregnant, gods above. "No," She answered. "You're the only one who knows."

"Then why did you just tell me? Why don't you tell the others?" Lysandra asked.

Aelin shivered. "You know very well that they would not take this news lightly." She swallowed, looking the shifter in the eye. "And...I've already set things in motion for when the time comes for me to...you know, and I need your help."

Lysandra gripped her hands, her eyes red. "Anything."

Aelin's mouth tightened. "You're not going to like it," She warned guiltily. "I wouldn't have asked this of you had I had more time."

Time. A sensitive thing that she had very little of.

"I am willing to give whatever you need of me," Was Lysandra's only response.

Aelin squeezed her friend's hand, and explained everything.

--------

Lysandra

Lysandra listened to her queen, her heart breaking as she listened to everything Aelin would have to sacrifice; what Lysandra would have to sacrifice if Terassen were to ever have a future.

But she would do it, because the friend beside her would suffer more. Aelin was willing to give her own life to save the lives of multiple worlds and realms, and if Aelin needed Lysandra's help doing so, then it would be her pleasure.

Even once Aelin was done explaining all that needed to be done, Lysandra nodded without an ounce of fear.

"Thank you for doing this for me," Aelin whispered, not bothering to hide the guilt in her eyes.

Lysandra wiped at her splotchy face, needing to look neutral for when she walked out. "You have sacrificed so much, Aelin," Lysandra whispered. "Too much. And what the gods ask of you is unfair on so many levels. If I can do anything to ease the weight from your shoulders, I'm there."

Aelin looked away from Lysandra's gaze, guilt and sadness still evident despite Aelin's sour attempts at hiding it.

"I'll tell the others you need a moment to yourself," Lysandra claimed, and Aelin nodded her head in thanks.

Before Lysandra turned to leave, she hugged Aelin tightly. "No matter what happens, I will always be there for you Aelin," She said as Aelin started to tremble. "You were there for me in a time where no one else was. And for that, I will repay you with the same favor whenever you need it."

Aelin nodded, squeezing Lysandra before the she turned to leave. "Thank you, Lysandra." Aelin said as Lysandra neared the door.

"No," Lysandra corrected, reaching for the door knob. "Thank you, Aelin."

And as the shifter turned to leave her friend in peace, she had a feeling that Aelin would have even less time than they both expected.