Past Lives

Aelin

Aelin sighed and slumped down on her and Rowan's bed, taking off the Wyrdkey and setting it on the nightstand. She suddenly felt lighter without having the weight of that dark power the key radiated, especially after what had happened with Deanna.

She still didn't know what to think of what both the goddess and Elena had said. About the riddle, and what Deanna had called her: The Queen Who Was Promised.

She rubbed her temples, trying to keep the roaring in her mind to a minimum, and closed her eyes. Even after the incident in Skull's Bay, her magic still raged and pulled at her. Not as much as before, but still significant enough to give her a headache.

The scent of pine and snow filled her nose, and she felt the mattress shift beside her as large callused hands brushed her hair back from her face.

She opened her eyes to find Rowan beside her, his pine green eyes glowing even in the dimness of the room. His stone-like expression shifted into something softer, deeper, and she felt like her heart was being squeezed to death.

Without saying a word, he leaned in until their foreheads touched, his hands still smoothing back her hair. All she could focus on was his eyes, where flecks of brown shone against the green. They reminded her of a beautiful pine forest--a Northern paradise.

He inhaled a deep breath, still saying nothing, and closed his eyes. She lifted her hands to his face, caressing it, and she vaguely heard him let out a soft purring sound.

She grinned, restraining a laugh. "I changed my mind; you're not a dog, you're a cat." His eyes popped open, and she laughed softly. "No wonder you and Gavriel get along so well."

He snarled quietly, and she laughed again. "You know you just proved me right."

He closed his eyes again. "Perhaps, but at least I haven't pissed on the floor, yet."

She sighed. "It's only a matter of time. But I bet it's going to be Aedion who does it first."

He smiled, and she memorized the look of it on his face. "You know, some animals do that to mark territory."

She pulled back, disgusted. "That is plain revolting. If either of you dares try that on me, I'll throw you overboard."

He chuckled quietly and kissed her brow. "Your warning is noted and appreciated, milady."

She smiled at him softly, admiring the happiness on his face. Rowan had finally learned to put himself back together again after over two hundred years of being broken, and every smile he showed brought her a sense of relief and joy.

"What?" He asked, running his hands up and down her arms.

She shook her head. "Nothing. It's just good to see you smile."

He leaned in, brushing a soft kiss to her lips. "You brought me back. We brought each other back." He kissed her again. "We figured it out together."

She took a deep breath. "Do you..." She trailed off, and he gently gripped her hands at the catch. "Do you ever wish you could go back and do things differently?"

He looked down at their joined hands. "That's...a complicated question," He said tightly. "If you'd asked me that a year ago I would've paid anything to have gotten that chance. But now..." He looked up at her again. "But now I only wish I could sort myself out enough to find if that question still has the same answer."