Chapter 5 - Josie

The park is peaceful, the morning light shines through the trees, its attempt to warm the land is in vain. A thin frost still covers the land, a delicate veil of white coats the grass. It is so cold; I can feel the icy wind cut through my jacket like it's a thin piece of material. I lift the collar of my jacket, pulling it tight around my neck, my beanie down hard on my head, stretched as far as it will go. I feel insane for being out here this early, but the view is worth it, these pictures will be beautiful.

The people pass around the edges of the park, making their way to work. I flick through the settings of my camera, taking photos of the parkland. The trees coated in white, branches heavy with little icicles. The lake looks like it is beginning to freeze over, some parts of it reflect the trees that hang low above it, some parts are dull, lacking in lustre. The wind howls past me, on it the sound of a woman giggling.

I turn and see her wrapped up in his arms, long flowing blonde hair falls effortlessly around her face and neck, forming large curls. Her cheeks rosy pink from the cold wind, her skin pale, lacking in colour. But her skin colour made her look like she had spent a week at the beach compared to the man that was with her. Soft brown hair and blue eyes, he looked oddly familiar but I just can't place him. Maybe he's been in the club. They walked past me, not noticing me, too busy with themselves, very obviously happy. They sit on a bench seat, shaded from the morning sun by a large fountain.

It seemed like ages that they sat there, she giggled as he kissed her neck, only the stone statue of a woman and a dirty old perv with a camera to watch them. How lucky she is to have someone that doesn't cheat on her. My mind chortles at my thoughts who says he isn't cheating on her? Just because they're canoodling in the park doesn't make him faithful. They stop their frolicking when another person joins them, a man that I think I recognise. It is hard to tell from this distance so I use the zoom on the camera. Ethan! the man from the pub, the gorgeous guy that gave me his business card that of course got thrown in the bin. What are the odds that I would see him again? I know this town isn't overly large but there are a lot of people here. Very odd. For some unknown reason I take the picture. When the picture comes out, it is a white blur, almost like it has been overexposed. Stupid camera must be broken.

'Everything ok?'

I nearly jump out of my skin as I look up and Ethan is standing there, looking down at me.

'Uh, yeah. I think my camera is broken.'

'You're out early.'

'Wanted to get the morning view.'

'So you're a photographer too?'

'Just a hobby.'

'That's my brother.' he nods at the couple by the fountain. 'And his flavour of the week. Don't know her name.'

'Oh. Lucky her.'

He laughs. 'I feel like a coffee, want to join me?'

'Yeah sure.'

*************************************

The coffee house is small and quiet; the dark walls make for a cosy atmosphere. Ethan sits opposite me at the tiny wood table as I begin to peel the many layers of clothing from my overheated body. The waitress brings two coffees and even though I said I wasn't hungry, Ethan insisted on buying breakfast. To my utter despair, he ordered the big breakfast which I hoped wasn't as big as it sounded. Although, I was hungry so something descent would be nice. He grins at me; I can feel my cheeks tinge with heat. How can he illicit such reactions from me? Is it because he is so much more handsome than Andy and he's actually showing an interest in me? My mind sighs sadly, looking up into those sparkling green eyes, wishing I could spend a lifetime looking at them. Never going to happen, dead woman walking, remember? I had to stop the negativity otherwise I would be a blubbering mess and I did not want to be like that in front of anyone, let alone someone I barely knew.