Ch. 46 - It's Not Over

Start from the beginning

"I'm never letting you out of my sight." He holds my head between his hands and he presses his lips tightly against mine, tasting the blood that has coated my parched lips. He groans against my lips as he pulls me closer to him, locking me in place against his built chest, between his strong arms. I can feel him shudder just from the drop of my tainted blood and he pulls back. "Ever," he rasps just under my jaw.

"Good," I give him another peck on the lips. "I don't want you to."

Valentine smiles and captures me in a tight embrace, sealing our agreement. I take Rath's unfair conditions and let it drift to the back of my head as Valentine picks us both up to stand. Vampires around us have started retreating to the castle with the fallen. A few royal vampires and leaders have stayed to assess the damage and make sure everyone is accounted for. I notice the small, brunette princess trudge through the corpses with a solemn expression and I give her a feeble smile.

Valentine speeds over to her and whispers in her ear and immediately, I feel a sudden pang of jealousy spike through my heart. Who is this girl and why have Rath and Valentine suddenly found interest in her? I keep my head held high as I walk through the field, not paying attention to anything around me.

"Saphira," Valentine calls. I bite my lip as he gestures for me to approach them. The tiny woman looks to me with surprise and her mouth slightly drops. Is she not comfortable with me here? Of course, she isn't, she's with someone who can easily kill her. I realize that I have been thinking to deeply, and to be honest, quite immaturely, to notice Valentine's introductions. "This Karina, my cousin. Karina, this is Saphira, my mate."

She looks up at the two of us and smiles softly. Her emerald eyes glint with gratitude and respect. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Her voice is a soft twinkle that matches the bounce of her curly locks. "I've heard all about you."

"Have you?" I asked.

She nods and gives a nervous smile. Maybe I should look so serious. I'm scaring the girl.

"Yes, the whole Kingdom knows about you," she says quietly.

"I figure they must know, I've been trying to kill their greatest enemy for weeks."

Valentine's hand finds its way to my lower back and he caresses the bare skin his fingers can touch. I shiver as my core twists into a knot and a blush crawls on my cheeks. Trust Valentine to trigger my libido at a time like this.

"Karina will be staying with us for a few days, she's going to go through some of her parents' records in the archives," Valentine says just inches from my ear, making me tremble in more places than just my neck.

"I am to inherit the throne in the northern realm," she replies to clear my confusion. "I figured I should learn more about how to rule than sit pretty."

We are interrupted by a sultry voice. "I'll see you all at the victory party, yes?" Nikita, who I remember being attacked brutally, comes up behind Karina looking alive and well.

"Victory party?" I chuckle.

"Yes, we're hosting it in the basement since the ballroom has been severely damaged. We'll have lots of blood and dancing," she said enthusiastically with a wink. I can tell it's going to be quite a day. Underground parties have always been wild.

We all nod and reply simultaneously and head back to the castle grounds in the speed of light.

A flurry of emotions and bad thoughts fly into my mind and just like that my mood and energy drain to an all-time low. We arrive in our room and Valentine looks at me with concern in his eyes. I jump out of my bloody, torn clothing before starting a warm shower in the bathroom. I know what he's going to ask but I don't want to explain anything just yet. A lot of things have happened within the last day. From me becoming Queen of the Dark Forest to making a deal with the Demon King.