❥Chapter 8

Emily's Pov

Emily's Pov

After our emotional talk, Daryl and I split ways. Officer Grimes decided that he was going to take Daryl into the city to rescue Merle. Glenn was forced to go as well and T-Dog volunteered to go. Apparently, Merle wasn't the only thing they were going for. When Officer Grimes left King's County he took a bag full of guns from the police station, which he dropped in the city when he was trying to escape hundreds of walkers. While they're in the city looking for Merle, they'll also be getting the bag.

Dad had taken Carl down to the quarry to go catching frogs, and Sophia was playing with the Morales kids, so I decided to help the ladies with washing clothes. As I got to their sides I asked if I could help, which they obliged to.

Carl and dad were both splashing around and playing in the water when Jacqui came down to sit beside me and Carol with a basket of clothes.

"I'm beginning to question the division of labor here. Can someone explain to me how the women wound up doing all the Hattie McDaniel work?" she asked. Amy smiled sarcastically.

"The world ended. Didn't you get the memo?" she asked, rhetorically. Carol glanced over her shoulder at Ed, who was leaning against their Cherokee smoking a cigarette.

"That's just the way it is." she smiled sadly, continuing to scrub the clothes. I picked up another shirt that happened to be Sophia's.

After a few minutes, Carol spoke, "I do miss my Maytag." I chuckled under my breath, ringing out the water in the shirt I had.

"I miss my Benz, my sat nav." Andrea said.

"I miss my coffeemaker with that dual drip filter and built-in grinder, honey." Jacqui said, closing her eyes to imagine it.

"My computer and texting." Amy said.

"I miss my vibrator." Andrea said, bluntly. This causing the ladies to give her an 'mhmm' look. I was so confused.

Carol glanced at Ed before whispering, "Me too." All the women erupted in laughter. I threw my hands up.

"Woah, woah, woah. What is a vibrator?" I asked, still confused. This only caused more laughter. Ed walked over at the sound, seeming a little pissed off.

"What's so funny?" he asked, taking a puff out of his cigarette.

"Just swapping war stories, Ed." Andrea answered. Ed still stood over us. "Problem, Ed?" she asked.

"Nothin' that concerns you. And you ought to focus on your work. This ain't no comedy club." he replied, puffing at his cigarette. I rolled my eyes. 'Bastard.' I thought to myself.

"Ed, tell you what. You don't like how your laundry is done, you are welcome to pitch in and do it yourself. Here." Andrea said, tossing a wet shirt to him. Ed threw the shirt back at Andrea harshly.

"Ain't my job, Missy." he said. Andrea stepped forward and Amy stood up to stop something before it happens.

"Andrea don't!" she said, but her sister ignored her.

"What is your job, Ed? Sitting on your ass smoking cigarettes?" Andrea asked, getting aggravated.

"Well, it sure as hell ain't listening to some uppity smart mouthed bitch. Tell you what. Come on. Let's go!" Ed said, grabbing at Carol. Jacqui and Amy pushed me behind them, out of the way of danger.

"I don't think she needs to go anywhere with you, Ed." Andrea said.

"And I say it's none of your business. Come on now. You heard me." Ed said, forcefully. Carol began walking to him.

"Carol." Amy and I called to the woman. Andrea wouldn't let her go to him.

"Andrea, please. It doesn't matter." Carol said. Ed stepped up to Andrea.

"Hey, don't think I won't knock you on your ass just cause you're some college educated cooze, all right? Now. You come on now or you gonna regret it later." he said, as Carol walked over to him.

"So she can show up with fresh bruises later, Ed? Yeah, we've seen them." Jacqui said. Ed looked at her, angrily.

"Stay out of this." he demanded. "Now come on! You know what? This ain't none of y'all's business. You don't want to keep prodding the bull, okay? Now I'm done talking. Come on." Ed started shouting.

Everyone was arguing and yelling at each other that I couldn't keep up. Everything seemed to slow down when Ed slapped Carol across the face. Dad came out of no where and started beating Ed senseless. Jacqui hugged and tended to Carol while Amy cradled me in her arms as we watched my father beat the cruel man. He backed off threatening to kill Ed and punched Ed one last time as Andrea was shouting for him to stop. My dad stood up and shook his bloody knuckle as Carol ran to her bloody and bruised husband that laid on the gravel.

I was shaking in Amy's arms when Andrea said, "Amy, take Emily back to camp. She shouldn't be here right now."

Amy nodded and kept her arms around my shaking figure as we made our way back to camp. When we got back, I quickly ran to Lori, who hugged me back as I allowed silent tears to slip from eyes.

"She's a little shook up. Ed hit Carol, then Shane almost beat Ed to death in front of her." Amy explained, softly to her. I felt Lori nod since I had my face in her stomach.

Lori led me to her tent and sat me down on the cot. She then sat beside me and hugged me until I pulled away.

"He wasn't going to stop, Lori. He was going to kill him. He would've if it hadn't of been for Andrea." I said, causing her to look at me with concerned brown eyes. "Is this what we have to do now? Do we take out threats to live? I thought we were just surviving." I said. She hugged me and sat there for a minute.

"Your daddy only did that because Ed was going to seriously hurt Carol." she said, "He didn't want to do that, but he needed to. I can't really explain it, but one day you'll understand."

I nodded my head and closed my eyes. Images of dad's fist colliding with Ed's face rushed through my head. The sounds of the women shouting at dad an Ed banged at my eardrums.

'Yeah, Lori maybe one day I will understand. Or maybe I already do. And what I understand is that he will not stop hurting Carol and Sophia until he is six feet under. And dad knows that, too.'

Hi, guys. Two chapters in one day! That is literally amazing because I am literally lazy. This chapter was kinda short, but that's okay. I plan on typing up more chapters this weekend and updating everyday, like I've been doing. It is almost 10 pm and this chick is hella tired. So goodnight and until next time....

Deuces! ~Britt❤❤