15 | Never Alone

Lebanon, Kansas

Lebanon, Kansas

2016

Senior Year: Day Three

_

12:47 AM

Natalie groaned awake when her phone began vibrating nosily against her wooden nightstand, rubbing at her weary eyes and lifting her head from her pillow. She didn't bother checking the caller ID as she picked up the phone and pressed it to her ear, propping her head in her palm and closing her tired eyes. "Ghost busters."

"N-Nat?"

Natalie immediately became alert when her best friend's weak and shaky voice sounded from the other end of the receiver, sitting up in bed as her brow furrowed in concern. "Mattie? What's wrong?"

"M-My dad." Matthew whispered out, his voice hoarse. "I-I came home a-and I just - I can't-"

"Shh, Matt, what happened?" Natalie asked gently, flinging her covers off her body and swinging her legs over the side of the bed, listening intently as she propped her elbows against her knees.

"He's dead, Nat."

Natalie felt her heart drop into her shoes and she suddenly felt sick to her stomach, her slate colored eyes growing wide. "Oh my God.."

"I-I'm at the house. The paramedics are on the way and I just - Nat, I need you." Matthew whispered desperately.

"Okay, okay. I'm on my way, okay?" Natalie assured him, getting to her feet and changing from her sweats to her leggings as she held her phone between her cheek and her shoulder.

"Okay." Matthew whispered, his voice weaker than she had ever heard before. She knew Matthew didn't have the best relationship with his father, but he was all he had. And now he was gone.

"I'll be there soon, I promise." Natalie said softly, trying to keep her voice soothing, despite her own panic. This was the second death that had happened and it hadn't even been a full twenty four hours yet. Something was killing these people. And she intended to find out what.

"Please hurry." Matthew begged, breaking her from her thoughts.

"I will. I promise." Natalie assured him before hanging up and shoving her phone into her pocket. She quickly pulled her sneakers on and wrapped herself into a cardigan before racing out of her room and down the stairs to the library. She knew her father and uncle would be still awake doing research, despite the late hour.

Dean looked up when he heard his daughter thundering her way down the stairs, his brow furrowing as he got to his feet and quickly took her by the forearms the minute she was close enough. "Hey, baby, what is it? What's wrong?"