03 | The New Foreign Guy

Lebanon, Kansas

Lebanon, Kansas

2016

Senior Year: Day One

_

"Okay. I take it back."

Natalie looked up from her locker when she heard the familiar voice of her best friend Matthew, grinning and furrowing her brow at his words.

"What exactly are you taking back?"

"Jennifer Lawrence is not the prettiest girl I've ever seen, you are." Matthew said, leaning against the locker next to hers.

"Awe, Matt, you flatter me." Natalie joked, shutting her locker and letting Matthew swing his arm around her shoulders.

"Do you even know how much I missed you this summer? Three months across the country without your best friend while you stay with your insane cousins is my definition of hell."

"I don't think South Dakota falls under the "across the country" category."

"Okay, well, it felt like it."

Natalie rolled her eyes, draping an arm around her best friend's waist as the two made their way down the hallway. "You're so dramatic."

"You love me." Matthew grinned, dropping a kiss to her head. "So, how was your summer?"

"It was okay. We did a little road tripping." she answered vaguely.

"In what universe is road tripping just 'okay?'"

In my universe, where the definition of road tripping is hunting down demons and crap like that.

"Well, let's see, countless hours in Baby's cramped back seat, listening to Dad's endless Led Zeppelin cassette tapes. Need I say more?" Natalie questioned, arching a brow up at her best friend.

Matthew snorted. "You love Led Zeppelin."

"Not after 12 hours I don't."

The brunette boy laughed. "It couldn't have been that bad. Where did you guys go?"

"Well, we have some friends scattered around, so we hit a lot of places."

"Nice. Oh! I meant to tell you, I saw Jody a couple weeks ago while I was in Sioux Falls. She said to tell you hey."

"Awe! I hate that I didn't get to see her." Natalie pouted. "I miss her."

"Well, she said to give you a hug for her, so-" The brunette boy scooped his best friend into his arms, giving her a bear hug.

Natalie laughed, snuggling her head against his chest, right over his heartbeat. "You're a cheeseball, Matthew Brown."

"Eh, you love it."