13 | That's my Girl

Lebanon, Kansas

Lebanon, Kansas

2016

Senior Year: Day Two
_

Natalie sat sandwiched between Oliver and Matthew on the steps leading up to the school as she waited for her father and her uncle, holding Oliver's shaking hand as she attempted to soothe him. Parents had been called as soon as the body of Mrs. Webb had been taken away from the high school, which was definitely for the best, considering everyone was pretty shook up.

She looked over at Oliver, who was staring straight ahead, his eyes lost and unfocused. She hated that he had to see something so awful. She was used to it by now of course, but based off Oliver's reaction he had never even been to an open casket funeral, let alone seen a dead body at school.

Matthew sat on the other side of her, chewing at his thumbnail the way he did when he was in deep thought. Natalie took notice and gently tugged his hand from his mouth, bumping his shoulder with her own.

"Stop that. It's gross."

Matthew rolled his eyes. "Don't pretend like you didn't do it all through elementary school."

"But I stopped." Natalie said, raising her eyebrows.

"I think we have bigger problems than my nail biting habits." Matthew grumbled, propping his chin in his hand.

"I'll say." Oliver whispered, still holding tightly to Natalie's hand. "Two days into the school year and someone's dead." he said, shaking his head. "This...This doesn't happen a lot, does it?" he asked, his brow furrowed.

"What, people getting their chests ripped open at school?" Matthew questioned, arching an eyebrow. "No, not really."

"Be nice." Natalie said, bumping her best friend's knee with her own.

"I just don't understand how something like that could be possible." Oliver whispered, shaking his head. "I mean, how could someone do that?"

"I wish I could tell you." Natalie said, leaning her head on the boy's shoulder and rubbing his arm gently.

I could if I wanted to come to think of it.

The blonde girl looked up when she heard the roar of the impala, her eyes meeting the worried ones of her father as he whipped into the parking lot.

"Here we go," Natalie sighed gently, squeezing Oliver's hand and kissing Matthew's shoulder before getting to her feet and hopping down the steps as she made her way towards the car.

Dean was out of the car in an instant, walking with long strides and pulling his daughter into his arms. "Are you alright? Tell me you're alright."

"I'm okay, Dad." The blonde girl whispered, pressing her face into the older man's shoulder and holding gently to the back of his jacket.

"What the hell happened? Do you know?" Sam asked, pulling Natalie into his own arms after Dean released her.

Natalie sighed, giving her uncle a squeeze before pulling away and staring up at the two men. "I don't know. Oliver said he walked into Mrs. Webb's classroom and found her, chest torn out, but heart intact." she said, raising her eyebrows.

"Werewolf is out then." Sam murmured, his brow furrowed as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jackets.

"Wait, wait, Oliver found her?" Dean questioned, raising his own eyebrows in suspicion.

"Yeah, but I was thinking the same thing you are, and don't worry. It's not him." Natalie said with certainty.

"How do you know?"

"Well, for one thing he seemed pretty freaked out about it afterward, so I offered him my water bottle, which I managed to sneak some holy water in. Then I "dropped" my silver pocket knife and when he picked it up for me, nothing. It's not him."

"You tested him without him evening knowing?" Sam questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"Um...yeah?"

Dean couldn't help but smile with pride. "That's my girl."

Natalie rolled her eyes. "What do you guys think we're looking for?" she asked, raising her eyebrows and folding her arms over her chest. 

"I don't know. We'll have to talk to the family, see if we can get anything." Dean said. "But right now I just want to get you home. You sure you're alright?" he asked, cupping his daughter's cheeks worriedly.

"I'm fine, Pop, I promise." Natalie said, holding onto her father's wrist. "I-I feel horrible though."

"What?" Dean asked gently, his brow furrowing. "Why, baby? You couldn't have done anything, you didn't know."

"I know that." Natalie sighed. "I just - Mrs. Webb was so nice." she whispered, her nails digging into father's arm gently. "I-I saw the pictures she had on her desk, Dad. She has a husband. She has a baby. And now she's gone."

Dean's face went soft. He felt for Mr. Webb. He knew how it felt to lose the woman he loved and be left to take care of a child. And it hurt like hell.

"I know, bug." he sighed, pulling his daughter into his arms. "I know." He loved that his daughter was so compassionate and caring, but sometimes he wished she was a little less caring. It sounded horrible, yes, but he hated seeing her so hurt every time she had to watch a family be torn apart. It still hurt to watch it himself, just because he knew exactly how much it hurt. But he had grown used to hiding it. Natalie hadn't.

Natalie sighed, tucking her head into the crook of her father's neck and gripping at his jacket gently. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so-"

"Hush." Dean said, cupping the back of his daughter's head. "You don't need to be sorry, baby girl."

Natalie nodded into her father's neck, sighing softly and letting her eyes flutter to a close.

Dean held his daughter protectively, ready to fight off anything that dared to touch his baby. He didn't let go.

_

A/N- I  feel like the ending is a little awkward, but I really enjoyed writing this chapter, so I hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! ❤️

Much love,
нαу∂єи ☕️

Much love,нαу∂єи ☕️