5 ¦ Secrets and Theories

Start from the beginning

"The Gatál could still be out there."

I reached out for the cup of water, and he held it to my lips. "No, we got them. You're safe now."

"Did anyone else get hurt?"

"Three of you were targeted," he replied. "No one else. You and two other Risan Healers."

"Why would they attack us?" I asked, furrowing my brow. "The Risa are peaceful."

"That's what we're trying to find out." He ran his fingers through his hair. "The enemy has employed clairvoyants as well, so we're trying to figure out if your lives have value to the Gatál."

"Why didn't you cancel the event if your clairvoyants knew about the attack?"

For a moment, Peter didn't reply. He gave me a discerning stare as though he wanted to figure out whether or not I could be trusted.

"Honeypot principle," he muttered under his breath.

"What?"

"You let the attackers think you don't know the attack will happen. Before they carry out their plan, you arrest them." He cleared his throat. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

"I know all too well that prophecies aren't perfect." I placed my hand on his and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Thank you for saving me, Peter."

Nurse Kaylar marched towards us, her hair and braided beard swishing like the tail of an annoyed feline. Peter chuckled and rose to his feet.

"Right, well I'll go and let you recover before the nurse cuts off my--"

"Mister Sardon, if you please!" she growled in an angry whisper, gesturing towards the exit.

Peter gave me a charming smile. "Goodbye, Liselle."

I thought talking to Peter would help me understand. He only made me even more confused.

❄️🔥❄️🔥

A few days passed, and it seemed like the authorities still had no answers. They questioned me as well as the other two Risan Healer Initiates, Alicia Boldea and Marcus Negrescu. None of us could think of a compelling reason why anyone would want us dead.

It remained a mystery.

Once I was able to sit upright without wincing, Bragda insisted on visiting. In an oddly diplomatic move, she flirted with Kaylar until the nurse turned a deep shade of crimson.

"Hey, no fair!" Alicia hissed with a grimace. "Neither of us are allowed to have visitors yet except these stupid Defenders."

"You just need a Dwarfish sister to bribe her way through," I whispered with a wink.

Alicia growled in reply, and Marcus chuckled with a wince of pain.

Kaylar escorted Bragda to my bedside. Bragda extended her arms, wrapping me in a warm embrace. She earned a stern look from Kaylar, though, who restrained herself from reprimanding Bragda.

"Sis, you look much better," she exclaimed. "I was so worried."

At the word sis, Kaylar's scowl faded, and her eyes twinkled. Bragda squeezed me, and I winced in pain.

"Easy does it, Initiate," Kaylar warned in a remarkably gentle tone. "Five minutes only."

"So good to see you, sis. It's so boring here."

"Hey, Liselle." Bragda cupped and massaged the back of her neck, shifting on her feet. "I was thinking, you know, maybe ..."

I furrowed my brow. Bragda usually whacked you over the head with a hammer whenever she had an idea. It wasn't like her to be squirrely.