chapter 34

One week later; Wednesday; 5:32 pm

"How are you?" Mrs. Plotter asked in her ever-annoying voice.

I thought psychologists were meant to help their patients and not scare them any further than they already were.

Why was she asking me how I felt anyway? I thought they knew everything?

"Fine, can I go now?" I asked, sitting back in this oversized armchair and crossing my arms in front of me. I had to admit, I was quite disappointed when I found out I wouldn't be lying on a couch like in those Hollywood movies.

"No, you need to talk about what you have experienced," Mrs. Plotter explained, again.

"You don't want to hear about my third grade's best friend?" I shot back, raising an eyebrow in disbelief. That was definitely something psychologists liked to do: ask their patients about utterly irrelevant things from years ago.

Mrs. Plotter sighed, her busty chest raising and falling with every breath she took. She took off her glasses and adjusted her short hair, running her corpulent fingers through it. Her right hand picked up a pencil and started writing something on the papers flying around loosely in her lap.

If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't even be here. I did it out of love for them. My mom had insisted on me visiting Mrs. Plotter. Apparently she was the best psychologist within a 10,000 miles radius. I highly doubted it.

Today was my third - and also last - session with her. My eyes flickered to the huge clock on the wall. Well, I just had to survive another 25 minutes.

Everyone told me, anyone would be distraught after experiencing what I did. But to be honest, I was fine. I didn't feel anything at all.

The culprit - or rather, culprits - had been caught. You wouldn't guess it but the police actually did their job for once. After Harry had told them about the incident and his visit at the hospital, some spy of the police had been following him around wherever he went, without him even knowing.

Fortunately, also to the park.

I grumbled, remembering how well that went. Seemingly, he could only do so much. As reported to the police, he didn't see "any danger coming from the culprits." Like, sure. Someone aiming a gun at people was something common. It happened every day. Hell, we've all been there, haven't we?

"Idiot," I muttered, causing Mrs. Plotter's to turn her attention back to me. "Not you," I explained. She nodded and returned to writing stuff on her college block.

Anyway, the spy called the police and everything went mad. I had a panic attack after I saw Harry and Gemma just... I shook my head, trying to not think about it. Lately, it seemed to be on my mind all the time.

My memory was quite clouded, everything seemed like a huge blur. I remembered Louis shouting at me, shouting at Gemma, shouting at Harry. Ambulances and doctors on call arrived, taking care of us.

Policemen were everywhere, hunting our dearest criminals down. There were too many voices and I felt my head lifting up. Just before I passed out, I heard a frantic "Her heart is not beating" and a faint "He's losing too much blood" and then everything went black.

I woke up in a white hospital room, my sister waiting in a chair beside my bed. Ever since then, policemen have been surrounding me, asking tons of questions.

Finally, they had enough evidence to blow the whistle on Liam and his dangerous gang. Their trial wasn't scheduled for another two weeks but for now, they were safely locked away. To all appearances, it would stay that way.