chapter 14

"Zoey?" My mom's voice sounded through the door.

"Yeah?" What could she possibly want now?

"Got some time for me?" she asked, her voice a bit too excited. Oh God.

"Yes?" It came out like a question.

"Good because," she started, opening the door, "I want to go shopping in the mall."

Okay, I definitely needed an excuse now. "I can't. A fortune teller told me to not leave the house today or bad things will happen." Was that convincing enough?
"Sure. Get dressed, we're leaving in 10 minutes," and with those words my mom shut the door. My excuse probably didn't work then.

Excitement ran through my veins. She would pay for my new clothes! But my mom tended to dress me up like a nun. So I wouldn't buy anything. There went my excitement.

"God," I groaned and got up.

College was damn boring today. Well, it has always been damn boring. I've always hated high school – seriously, who didn't? – and I clearly didn't want to go to college. I've already spent enough time on studying. My parents basically forced me into doing it. Apparently, being a stripper wasn't an option for them.

Just kidding, that wasn't what I intended on doing. I just couldn't think of any better job career.

Law and History. People always thought I was über-smart or something because, hands down, who studied shit like that? I didn't even get half of it and history has never been one of my favorite subjects. The past is unchangeable. And it's done. No point in talking about it, again and again. Right? Right.

Back to the point, college was boring. Law and History was my most important class but obviously not my only one. I didn't know how much longer I could take it before I'd drop out and start an apprenticeship somewhere. Or my own garage band. If I could sing... I liked old people. Elderly care nurse? I should look that up some time.

I quickly changed and let my hair fall down. Should I straighten it? Hmm, maybe-

"ZOEY! ARE YOU READY?" My mom literally yelled.

"YES! COMIN'," I yelled back. No time to straighten my hair then.

I brushed past my mom and waited in the car for her. She joined me after 4 minutes. Yes, I counted. She always did that; telling me to hurry yet not being ready herself.

"Phoebe told me you went to the bowling alley yesterday with some friends?"

Oh gosh, that was yesterday? Felt like it had been 3 weeks. "Yeah. It was ... interesting."

"That's good to hear. So, Eric told me yesterday that he and Nicole came up with a plan about what we should do when you're on your summer break because that's the only time everyone gets off and-" I stopped listening to her after that. It was safe to say that she didn't stop talking until we reached the mall. Gosh, woman, shut up.

"First of all, I want to go to Starbucks," my mom declared.

"You're such a white girl," I mumbled under my breath.

She ordered a black coffee. Seriously, we could have gone to Spencer's for that. Their coffee was way cheaper and definitely better. I didn't get anything to drink but I convinced my mom to buy some donuts later. See, that was a good trade.

After that, my mom basically dragged me into every store possible.

"Do you think that will suit me?" "What color should I pick?" "Would you rather take that dress or that shirt?" "Am I too old for red lingerie?"