Chapter 24 - A Leader's Training

Start from the beginning

Lord third suddenly grabbed my hand. Only now did I realize I was shaking. Without warning the Hokage suddenly wrapped his arms around me in a tight embrace.

"Stop it. No more," he whispered. "I know exactly what you are thinking, and I am telling you to stop. You are not like that. You are not a bad person, because if you were, you wouldn't be worrying for the others like you are, now."

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat, not knowing what else I should do. I know the normal thing to do would be to hug back, but... I'm scared. My eyes were wide and on the floor, as the Hokage pulled away and lay a hand on my head.

"Enough worrying, you will be fine," he said. "All will be well."

There was a hidden meaning behind his words I couldn't ignore, but I simply nodded my head in agreement. A small smile reaches his face as he continues.

"Amber, I've noticed you have been spending much time with Guy and Kakashi, training. Have you learned any new Justu?" He inquired, tilting his head in curiosity.

"I am afraid not," I replied, shaking my head. "I know Shadow Clone Jutsu, transformation Jutsu, how to climb trees, throw Kunai, and of course plenty of Taijutsu from Guy. Though that is all."

That wouldn't do, and I knew it. The Chunin Exams were just around the corner, and all I knew were silly little parlor tricks. I'm almost as useless as Sakura. Almost.

"Well, I would like to show you a few things, if you are interested?"

My eyes lit up in excitement. New Jutsu? And to learn them from the Hokage, no less! I kept my composure, but allowed appreciation to ring in my voice.

"Yes, I would greatly appreciate that!"

"Very well, then let us go." He chuckled, making his way to the door.

"Now?"

"Yes, now. Unless of course, you have something to take care of?" My eye to twitch in slight annoyance, at the Hokage's teasing.

I merely grumbled and fallowed after him. Teasing directed toward me was something I've only just recently come to experience. My step parents never teased. They didn't work like that. But although it's a tad irritating, I'm fairly certain that is what teasing is meant to do, right? Annoy the other in a playful manner?

I watched the Hokage's back as he lead to the top of the Hokage Faces. Why did he allow me to stay in the village? Why does he treat me so kindly? Especially after I told him what I could do.

'What if this is all a trap?' I thought to myself, and my pace slowly lessened. 'No, he wouldn't do that! Stop over thinking things, again!'

But he could. Anyone could. He could be leading me straight into an ambush while I'm blinded by this false sense of security.

I stopped walking, and as did he. The old man turned to me and stared in confusion. Studying me closely, his eyes suddenly grew wide. A sad look flashed in his eyes, as he realized what I was thinking.

"Amber," his voice was so kind, so gentle, that the guilt of suspecting him for such a thing hit me like a ton of bricks. "I would never do anything to harm you, child. There's no need to worry, but if keeping a distance or not coming at all makes you feel safer, then you are welcome to do so."

My eyes fell to the floor in shame, but I kept my face blank, nonetheless. While I decided to walk by his side, the stubborn part of me kept me a few feet away, as a precaution.

We found ourselves at the top of the stone faces. I breathed in the crisp breeze and allowed my hair to whip around as it wished. As I glanced at the Hokage, a smile was upon his face in moments.

"Now, let us begin."

              ————Time Skip————

Amber's POV:

We had trained all day. Night had already fallen by the time we stopped to take a break. Breathing in the afternoon air, I lay in tall grass  and stared up at the stars.

They were beautiful. I had never seen so many stars in my life. Growing up in the city, the lights obscured the skies full glory. There you wouldn't be able to see the stars and constellations like you could here. In fact some considered it good luck to see so much as a single star in the sky, let alone constellations.

I proudly found and named each constellation in my head, happy to finally be able to see them for myself. My phone was the only way I could learn anything. Being the way my step parents were, they did their best to deprive me of any form education, so I had to do most of my reading and studying on that small pocket device. Secretly, of course.

But it wasn't without cost. The food they offered me always did some sort of harm to me. I needed to survive somehow. So, I either stole food, or pickpocketed people on the streets to buy the food. One day, I just happened to bump into a man, and my hand accidentally slipped into his pocket. Thus leading me to grab his cell.

It had no pass word, and there was hardly a scratch on it. I could tell it was fresh out of the package. With careful exploration, I learned how to operate it. The small yet spectacular device even taught me to read.

Normally, I would just click random buttons until something happened, but with a bunch of random videos in the recommendation column, I found videos on the english alphabet, some basic counting, etc. Though hiding my phone was the hard part. Yet I wish I could say pickpocketing was the worst thing I've ever done.

My thoughts were disrupted as the rustle of Lord Thirds robes settled down beside me. Sitting up, I hugged my knees to my chest, enjoying the coziness, and not taking my eyes off the sky for a second. We both heaved a relaxed sigh, our breaths visible in the chilly night. Time passed, and the Hokage was the first to break the silence.

"Amber?"

"Hm?"

He turned his head toward me. "Have you ever heard of the Will of Fire?"

The Will of Fire. The words echoed in my head, as my heart thundered, as though it not only knew the meaning of it, but believed in it. Alas, no matter how hard I tried, again as always, I couldn't remember its importance.

I shook my head in response to the Hokage's question. He smiled and stared back into the sky.

"The Will of Fire lays inside each citizen of the Hidden Leaf." He proclaimed proudly in a hushed tone. "The Will of Fire is one's will to protect their village at whatever cost."

Staring down at the lit streets of Konoha, I could see the people closing their shops, and bidding each other a good night, as they locked their doors till the next morning. And I could see it. It was all but a candle's flare, but as each one of the Village's people retreated into their homes, I could see the small flames of their will.

The Hokage locked eyes his eyes on me. "Tell me, Amber. Do you possess the Will of Fire?"

Author- Chan's Note: Bad news guys... High school is far more time consuming than I realized. There may be slower updates than there were over the summer! I'M SORRY!! But never fear, Amber's journey doesn't end here. Her story won't be ending any time soon! Oh, and thanks for 12K!!! See you guys in the next chapter!😋😋😋