Chapter 24 - A Leader's Training

Amber's POV:

The Sand Genin and I walked to the Hokage's office in silence. The only sound between us was the occasional scraping of our feet against the cobblestone paths.

Finally, we found ourselves at the Lord Third's office door. With a quiet knock, I didn't wait for permission to enter. I ambled into the room, holding open the door for the other three. They didn't bother to thank me, nor did I care for them to.

"Ah, I was wondering when you'd show," the Hokage cued, then gestured to the chair in front of him. "Please have a seat."

Kankuro, and Tamari took a seat while Gaara stood behind them. I move to stand watch behind the Hokage. Blank faced, he glanced back at me from the corner of his eye but thankfully didn't say anything.

He never ordered me to stay, or go, but I felt I needed to warn him about Gaara. And me.

"Now then," he started. "I'm sure you know why you're hear, so I'll just get straight to the point." The old man reached for a stack of papers in his desk droller. "Here are the basic set of rules and obligations you are expected to follow. One of my assistance will be here shortly to hand you your village passes so you may wonder the village freely."

"I'm not sure we need a list of rules, she already gave us the basic run through," Kankuro muttered beneath his quivering breath. It looked like he glanced in my direction, but his gaze only went as far as my feet, not daring to do anything more.

The Hokage raised an eye brow at me in question, but I merely held my cold demeanor, without care. Just then, a ninja walked through the door, three small card sized papers in hand.

"Ah, here he is, now." The Hokage stood, taking the passes from the ninja's hand and handed it to the Genin. "Here you are, and I hope you enjoy your stay."

All but Gaara had bowed, before the three left without another word. I waited for the sound of their foot steps to disappear before glancing at the Hokage.

"Watch for the boy whom carries the gourd," I warned. "He's dangerous."

"How so?" The Hokage's brow knitted together in confusion, as he clasped his hands.

"His gourd reeks of blood, and the atmosphere around him is just as malevolent."

The Hokage nodded his head, and thanked me for the warning but I stopped him, and continued. "Be cautious of me, too." I had forced those words from my mouth. It was far too difficult to admit it out loud, but if I want to keep the people I hold dear from harm, I'll need to find out what's going on with me. And to do that I'll need a watchful eye on me in the meantime.

The simple five seconds that past felt like an hour, as I waited for his response. Though, I quickly grew impatient and explained myself.

"There was a small quarrel between some Leaf Genin and that one Sand Genin with the cat-eared hood. I was going to stop it, but then he arrived." My mind flashed back to when Gaara appeared, and a shiver crawled down my spine. "The blood lust emanating from that boy... it sent a jolt of ferocity through my bones that I almost wasn't able to control."

The Hokage turned in his chair to stare at me, but I couldn't look him in the eye. I felt far, too ashamed. To crave blood was vile. Yet Gaara's aura, it had stirred something within me that made me want to see his red rivers flow. It made me want to harm. It made me want to kill.

Although the feeling wasn't strong, it was still there. There's no way I wanted to harm anyone, not unless they harm those close to me, at least. I managed to control it this time, but what if the next time around I won't be able to? Who knows what I'd do. Am I really the monster the others are begging to fear me to be?