Chapter 29: One heart

Start from the beginning

"Prince Wang Eun..." I responded disappointedly. "I don't think we could ever return." I told the sad truth. 

He started sobbing as he stated, "I wanted to give her a proper funeral." 

I realised Prince Wang Eun wanted to send Soon Deok for her last time. An idea suddenly came to me, even though I knew it might not work, but it should calm his heart for a moment. 

"Let's go somewhere." I suggested and beyond the pair of heartbroken eyes, Prince Wang Eun was surprised and excited.

Changing to a fresh set of clothing, we set out to the meadows not far from the village. 

"Wow

"Wow..." The child prince gaped open his mouth as a tiny smile formed on his face. 

"I used to come here with my father when I was young as he painted the horizons." I explained as the memories floated back to me. 

"It's been a while...Father." I whispered to the breeze, hoping that Father could hear me.

Allowing Prince Wang Eun to take a breather, I looked around my surroundings hoping to find a branch and some flowers. 

"It might not be the best looking tombstone," I said as I dug a hole on the soil with a rock and stuck the branch in; decorating some flowers with it as I explained to Prince Wang Eun; "But I hope this could be enough for Soon Deok." 

I turned and Prince Wang Eun was staring at me with an unexplainable expression. His heavy heart aches again and tears trickled down once more.

"Yes, it's good enough..." He gulped and tried to be positive as he walked towards the tombstone. 

For a good few hours, both of us sat side by side in front of the tombstone as the beautiful scenery comfort our broken hearts. Not only Soon Deok, but everyone we've missed in the palace, I wish that they could have a better life in their afterlife.

Mother...Father...We will meet again in our next lives. By then I hope we will never be separated and actually be a happy family.

//

When we got back home, Aunt Sunny eagerly called us in as a visitor was here to see us.

"General Park?!" We gasped at the man waiting for us in the guest room. We were not expecting anyone to locate us.

General Park stood up from his seat and bowed at us, giving us a warm smile as he greeted, "How have you been?" 

The three of us seated in the room with Prince Wang Eun sitting beside me, and General Park opposite the both of us. He pulled out two white letters for both of us each.

"Soon Deok had asked to passed it to the both of you. I don't know why she would write letters to the both of you, but I hope you would read it." He said as he pushed the letters towards us gently.

I opened the envelope and slipped out the white paper, reading through the message that she had left for us.

Princess Hwa Yeon,

How are you? I know I must have gone out of my mind to write this letter to you. Things between Prince Wang Eun and I had not been going smoothly. Everyday, I just wished he could have looked at me a little more. I love him, and I will never stop loving. But I know his heart had always be with you, and it's miserable for him to marry me when he already had a girl in his mind. I have decided to leave him, to go back to what I do best. So...I don't really want to say this but I hope you will take care of Prince Wang Eun for me. I wish the both of you good luck.

Soon Deok.

The message got blurry as my eyes was filled with tears. She had been wanting to sacrifice herself for the sake of Prince Wang Eun and I. To say that she wanted to let go of the man she loved, she knew a divorce would spoil her reputation, what more to divorce with a Prince. 

"Soon Deok ah..." I heard Prince Wang Eun crying. "Why are you so stupid?"

"Prince Wang Eun. Princess Hwa Yeon. Please return to the palace and aid Prince Wang So. He needs your help to capture King Jeong Jong." General Park revealed.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused. "Capture King Jeong Jong?"

"Yes. The King had been missing ever since that day. Prince Wang So intend to capture him, and become the next King." 

I couldn't believed what I just heard.

"We need your help, Princess Hwa Yeon. I know you've been learning martial arts ever since young. You can lead our soldiers." General Park said. "Work with me."