Chapter 21: Gone/Wedding

Prince Wang So raised his sword and aimed towards me. I quickly defended myself by reaching for the candlestick by the side and blocking the attack. Flames flew towards the prince as his sword slashes the candles in to half, causing it to fall on to the ground with an extinguished flame. 

"How dare you!" 

Prince Wang So dismisses the shock off his face and attempted to attack once again. I blocked the attack with the candlestick as I tried to escape from the room.

"You're a threat to the King." He mumbled as he continued to strike.

"If I'm a threat, why wouldn't you kill me already? Why are you hesitating with your attacks?! Are you mocking me because I'm from a lowly life?!" I shouted as I charged myself towards the prince.

However, he simply stood stationery on his spot as his eyes stared in to mine.

"Don't give me that sympathetic look of yours. I'm not someone you can pity on." I declared silently as I stared fiercely in the eyes of the prince. 

Prince Wang So grabbed the candlestick off from my hands and threw it far away which I wouldn't be able to reach, putting me in an disadvantage. "You may stop now." He lowered his sword and turned away from me as he left the room; leaving me speechless and useless as I stood rooted to the ground stunned.

//

Throughout the entire night, I was ashamed of my inability for not executing the plan well. Not only have I failed my mission, I failed to revenge as well. But I have only myself to blame. If only I am not born of a royal blood. If only my mother remained as a commoner.

As the sun rises, I returned to my mother's chamber with a disheartened heart. My feet felt heavy as the distance got shorter. 

How am I going to face mother now?

Sobbing could be heard from the corridor and my heart thumped for the worst. I rushed over to the servant by the door and questioned impatiently.

"What happened?!" 

The servant was gasping for breath as tears trickled down her face. "Court Lady...Court Lady Oh..." She sobbed uncontrollably as she struggled to get the words out. Unable to keep calm, I entered the room to find a crowd of servants by the bed, bawling their eyes out.

"Mother!" I cried out as I got closer. I pushed the servant aside as I stared at the pale face of mother's. It was not the type of pale when you're sick, it was the type of pale...when someone was gone.

"Omma..." My vision blurred with tears as my shaking hands reaches out timidly to touch her face. 

It was cold. She was motionless. 

"Om..." I gulped as my tears fell on to her face, my face scrunched up in pain as I couldn't believe what I was feeling and seeing. "M...Mianhae...Mianhae..." I managed to apologised as I caressed her face.

Unable to withstand it any longer, I buried myself in to her chest and I cried my heart out.

//

The news of mother's death soon spread and a funeral was held with only a few close ones to attend. We buried her beside father's burial and started the ritual to send her off freely. Aunt Yuri and a few other servants wailed sadly as the workers shovelled sand in to the hole.

"Soo Yeon ah...!!!" Aunt Yuri squalled. 

"A-Yeon ah..." Prince Baek Ah cuddled me in to his chest for comfort. "Don't hold it in. You can let everything out." He patted my back gently as I cried in his arms.