part three

"Neeks!" Leo exclaimed, grinning widely on Nico's computer screen. God, had he missed his boyfriend.

"Hey," Nico greeted, fiddling with the ends of his sleeves as he stared at Leo's low-quality image, committing his hair and eyes and smile to memory. "I've missed you."

"God, I miss you like crazy," Leo admitted. "It's unreal." Leo took a deep breath to steady himself. "How was your day?"

"Pretty okay, I guess," Nico answered. "Well, not really, but I went out with Percy and Jason and a few other friends for dinner, then I went to IHOP with Chris and Ethan and Luke, unfortunately." Nico noticed how Leo cringed at the name.

  "Are you okay?"

  "Yeah, I'll be fine I think," Nico assured him, giving Leo a soft smile. "I don't hang out with him that much."

"I still hate him," Leo grumbled, resting his cheek on his palm.

"You don't have to, he's really changed-" 

"He traumatized you, Neeks."

The word caused Nico to flinch and stare at his bed sheets, fiddling with a loose string as he tried to come up with some excuse as to why everything was okay.

"I'm fine now, Leo, so it's okay," Nico whispered.

"You still hesitate holding my hand in the streets, I don't think that's okay," Leo said, his voice softening. Nico glanced up and their eyes caught, causing him to give a small smile. "Listen, if you say he's changed, then okay, I believe you. But I'll never forgive him for what he did to you - to us. No matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to."

"I understand," Nico responded, clenching the bedsheet in his fist - wishing it was his boyfriend's fingers between his. "When's your next break?"

"Thanksgiving, I'll have a few days off then, and I'll come home," Leo answered, and Nico watched his eyes drift to the time.

"Are you tired?"

"Nah, not at all," he brushed Nico off, but his statement was contradicted by a yawn, causing Nico to smile.

"Alright, you big goof. Get some rest."

"No, I-"

"For me," Nico murmured. "Please?" Leo visibly hesitated, before he bit his lip.

"Alright, fine," Leo agreed. "For you."

"Thank you."

"I love you, I hope you sleep well."

"I love you too, and you too. Goodnight, my love." Nico reached a hand up and brushed his fingertips along Leo's cheek, watching a dimple create a ripple with his smile.

"Goodnight, Neeks."

The call ended and Nico felt alone.

  He felt a hot tear slip down his cheek, so he quickly wiped it away, but another fell, and soon, there were tracks down his cheeks. He whimpered and hastily rubbed at his cheeks with his jacket sleeves, praying he'd stop crying, yet the tears kept falling. He buried his face into his pillow and let the sobbing begin, his chest aching with every sob. Why was he like this? Why did Leo have to be so far away? He missed him so much it literally hurt.

  "Nico?" a soft voice called from the other side of the door, a quiet knock resonating. "Are you okay?"

  "I'm fine," Nico croaked, clenching his pillowcase in shaking hands. "Just...I'd like to be alone," he murmured.

  "Okay...I'm here if you need anything," Ethan offered, before Nico heard his footsteps carry down the hall. The black haired boy buried his face into the pillow once more, and let himself fall asleep to the sound of his own sobs.

—-

Classes resumed as usual - boring (except for Language and Composition, Nico quite liked that class) and on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, he worked at the cafe a few minutes away from the dorms. Life seemed to go by in a blur as hours turned to days and days turned to a week. Suddenly, Leo's relapse was the last thing he thought about, and he was wondering if Leo felt the same. After his shift at the cafe, he quickly called Leo as he walked to the gas station.

"Hey, baby cakes!" Leo called into the speaker, causing Nico to smile.

"You're embarassing."

"Like you don't like it," Leo teased, causing Nico to laugh, before he stopped and hit his lip, chewing on it nervously.

"Are you busy tonight?"

"Not that I know of, why?" Leo inquired, and Nico could hear the tapping of Leo's fingertips on the other side of the line.

"I wanted to video call you...I uh, I have a surprise," Nico responded, a wide smile on his face.

"I like where this is going," Leo trailed off.

"I knew you would. Is eight okay?"

"It's perfect, mi amor. I can't wait to see you." Nico could practically hear the smirk in Leo's voice.

"Me neither. I love you."

"Love you too."

Nico hung up and stood at the entryway of the gas station. He stared at the door and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath, before he entered and walked to the counter.

"Can I get a-"

"Pack of Marlboro Lights?" the lady at he counter inquired, and Nico blinked a few times in confusion. "You get that every time you come here, which is quite frequently."

"I guess," Nico said with a frown. "But yeah, I'll get those."

The exchange ended, and Nico withdrew a cigarette from the pack and placed it between his lips, quickly lighting it. If Leo saw him, he'd be so disappointed. Nico frowned again and took another puff, closing his eyes as he began the walk home. Suddenly, a car pulled up to him, and Nico's stomach dropped as he automatically expected the worst.

"Hey, Nico," Luke called from the driver's side. "Need a ride somewhere?"

"Uh, no thanks, it's not that far."

"Please, I insist," Luke said, waving off Nico's protests. Nico sighed and put out his cigarette, stepping into the car and buckling his seatbelt. "Hey, there's a party Saturday night, would you be interested in going?"

"Who's all going to be there?"

"A lot of people, but Ethan's going, if that's what you're wondering. It'll be fun, I promise." Luke gave him a genuine smile. "I'll give you a ride and everything."

"Okay, sure. Sounds great," Nico agreed, pulling out his phone to text Ethan.

"And Nico?" Luke asked, so Nico looked up at him.

"Yeah?"

"I want you to know I'm still...incredibly sorry for high school. I was a complete dick and I-"

"You don't have to apologize," Nico assured him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I forgive you."

Luke thanked him and began driving, and Nico swore he saw the beginnings of tears in Luke's blue eyes.