part one - prologue

leo el leon: im srry

neeks the geek: Why, what's up?

leo el leon: im rlly rlly srry

neeks the geek: About what?

leo el leon: i rlpsd

  "Leo! What the fuck? Fucking answer your phone," Nico yelled into the receiver, his phone shaking in his quivering hand as he clutched the other one into a fist. "Please," he whispered. "Let me know you're okay." He pulled the phone away from his ear, before bringing it back again. "I love you." He paused, pulling it away once more and hanging up, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath to steady his racing heartbeat. "Fuck!"

  "Nico? You okay?" Percy asked, peeking around the corner to eye Nico. "You left in such a rush."

"I'm fine," Nico breathed, stuffing his phone into the pocket of his leather jacket. "Thanks for worrying."

"Are you coming back?" Percy inquired, leaning his shoulder against the wall.

"Yeah, yeah, just give me a minute," Nico assured and Percy gave him a sweet smile, before he slipped back into the restaurant. Nico stared off into the dark alleyway and sighed, pulling a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket and staring at the box. He had promised Leo to quit the habit he'd picked up a few months ago, but then again, Leo had promised not to relapse.

No, I can't think like that. This is different.

Nico sighed again and yanked a cigarette out, quickly lighting it, and took a deep inhale. He threw the remainder of the package into a dumpster, and after staring at the lighter for a second too long, tossed it as well. He stood there for a few moments, puffing on the cigarette, before he pulled out his phone and checked his notifications. Nothing.

"Fuck," he whispered again. He pulled up Leo's contact and sent him a text.

neeks the geek: I'm really worried. Please text back soon.

After waiting an aggravatingly long time, he stuffed his phone into his pocket again and stamped out the cigarette. He quickly made way back into the restaurant and sat back with the table, which consisted of Percy, Jason, Ethan, and Clarisse.

"You good?" Ethan asked, eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Nico waved off, resting his chin on his palm and using his other hand to tap his fingertips on the wood of the table. The table gave him a wary look, but he brushed off their curiosity by smiling and grabbing a chip from the middle of the table. "Seriously guys, I'm fine." He took a small, sharp breath. "I promise."

(A/N: ahah what am I getting myself into)