Hard Truth

"You're one to talk," He says it low, barely above the sound of hearing. 

"What's that suppose to mean?" Planting my feet, taking a wide stance, bracing for words that he's going to throw my way. 

"Nothing, let's just stop arguing, I hate arguing." Saying his words while looking out the window. 

"We need to talk about this, it's a stupid tradition, and I won't be part of it. Mates don't take mates this way in front of others."

"You're right, mates don't take mates in front of others, they do it in private. But the Alpha will take his Luna this way, he will take her, and she will bend to him in this."

"I'm not going to bend."

"I will make you bend to me until you can make me bend to you, Charlie...Make me bend to you, do it now. Try." He rises up to his completed height, his shadow stretches itself in the radius of the house. He consumes all space with how he can make himself to become so much more. 

"If you make me bend, there is no ceremony." His words are cold, cutting into my skin.

Flash of fang and lifted lip he shows my Nature his challenge, the Wild within flashes herself towards him, she wants to meet this challenge. 

Fear, a fear settles into the marrow of me, to unleash her uncontrolled could hurt him. 

"Don't be afraid!" He shouts it to me, but I am afraid, I'm terrified of myself.

"Charlie, you are an Alpha female who fears everything. Your mother is not afraid, she has no fears." 

"Don't bring my mother into this, she's different than me." Words coming out faster now, the ridge fur on my back starting to hackle up. 

"I know. Your mother holds no fear, why do you think everyone stays out of her path. To challenge her brings their death. If wolves walk in your path you step to the side and let them pass you before you start to walk again." 

"I'm being considerate." Voice falling flat, trying to remember when I ever have made someone move for me. 

"No you're not, you're being a weak little wolf who is afraid of her own shadow. You don't own your path. You are a full grown Alpha female who has no idea how to be an Alpha."

"I'm not in control. I can't handle what's inside me." 

"Your father is the only one that can handle your mother properly. What makes you think I can't handle you properly? Why don't you trust me to be what your half needs?" His hands are on my shoulders, "how do you expect to walk your true path if you are afraid to get on that path." He's trying to look into my eyes, but I can't look at him. His voice has dipped down, not as stern.

"What's my true path?" His body tenses, a deep breath from him.

"You need to find that out yourself." 

"I guess I do." We both stare at one another, no more words. 

Silence, oppressive weighted silence stretches out to separate us further apart. Neither one of us willing to bend to it....so we hold our tongues, through most of the evening. When Odin makes us a small snack, instead of sitting with him at the table I take my plate to the couch. He sits alone at the table he built for us. His head hangs long while he eats, while mine does the same. 

When getting cleaned up for bed, getting out of the shower. Odin is opening the front door, a blanket in his hand, the smell of thick sage that has just been burned hazes up the inside of the home. 

"Lock it after I leave." He doesn't say anything more, before closing the door, leaving me alone inside the house. 

After dressing for the night, it's still too early to go to bed, so I decide to read out of my very first book, to calm me. Going to where I keep my books they aren't there, slight panic sets in. Looking around, in the corner of the living room, is a new piece furniture that I never noticed before. It's a small bookcase that displays the leather bound books of my life's work.