"Ki!" Emmie's voice cut through the splattering rain. She had the training master by her side.

"Arynn, what are you doing?" Master Sarko yelled just as the boom of thunder deafened all other sounds. A blinding bright light flashed across the dark sky and Ki smiled triumphantly. She has summoned lightening. Now she just needed to guide it to strike in the right place.

"Out of the way," she said, her voice not raised, but it carried through the air to all the others.

"You are draining yourself," Emmie cried out, running towards Ki. Even Thatch backed away from the approaching Shadow Walkers. They all moved behind Ki as she raised her arms into the air.

"Wynd hear my calling," Ki prayed to the God of her gift. "May the air guide me," she whispered. Another crack of thunder and the hair on her arms rose as the air was charged with electricity. She felt it move through the air, down from the sky and into her body. Her senses went overboard and she saw nothing but bright light. Ki moved her arms and aimed them at the Shadow Walkers in front of her. With a cry, she let the thunder leave her, guiding it with her hands and mind as it shot from her hands and hit the creatures.

"Earth," she gasped, reaching into Emmie's gift and pulling a thread if it out of her. The earth rumbled beneath her feet and cracked in front of her. Blinking, her eyesight returned to normal and saw the smoking remains of King Zagul's evil creations. The earth broke apart and swallowed the three creatures. It closed back up, leaving a twisting line down the street.

Ki took one step and then collapsed on the ground.

"You stupid child," Master Sarko muttered as Ki slowly stirred and opened her eyes. The first thing she saw was the clear sky. All signs of her thunderstorm had dissolved. "You were on the brink of using your life energy. You could have killed yourself."

Ki felt like her body had been trampled by a herd of cows so he probably wasn't that far off with that one.

"But it worked, right?"

"You are as reckless as Thatch is hot-headed," Sarko growled as an outburst of protest came from somewhere behind her. Emmie walked into her line of sight, her worried brown eyes searching for any visible or invisible injuries.

"I'm okay," Ki assured her, though every inch of her protested when she tried to move.

"You took my gift. You just pulled it right out of me."

"Don't take it personal," Thatch said, "she did that to me as well."

"I didn't even know we could do that."

"And I didn't know we could see each other and leave mental breadcrumbs, but you did." Emmie stared at Thatch as if she had no idea what he was talking about.

"What are you talking about?"

"Ki and I both saw you. You sent us like a vision and we came running. Something told us where to go."

"I had no idea I was doing that," Emmie whispered. It seemed like they all still had a lot to learn about their connection. Ki struggled to sit up. They were still in the street. The ground was dark from the rain, but in one place lay a large puddle.

"What did you do, Ori?" Ki rasped, her throat raw.

"I figured you could use some help so I pooled together the rain for your lightening to use as a current."

"Though it didn't look like you needed any help," Thatch added, something in his voice was off, but Ki couldn't place it.

"Thoran!" She suddenly remembered. "The other soldiers. What happened?" She got to her feet, but it was like she weighed a ton.

"Easy there," Thatch said and Emmie stepped up to support her. With an arm around each other Ki looked at the training master.

"There were a lot of casualties, but many are fine and are treating the wounded and getting the horses prepared to leave."

"Are all of the Shadow Walkers gone then?"

"It seems so," Sarko said, but Ki heard the hesitation in his voice.

"We need to search the village," she said, but Sarko's sharp glance told her otherwise.

"You need to rest."

"I'm fi-"

"You are not fine, Kianna!" Sarko interrupted and Ki fell silent. Her breath was heavy, the adrenaline that had kept her going before was slowly ebbing out, leaving her tired. A fierce headache pounded across her left temple.

"We'll go," Thatch said, nodding at Ori who kept glancing at Emmie.

"Sure, let's split up again, because that worked so well the last time," Emmie said, shaking her head. "We need to stick together."

"We'll be quick and now we know a way to tell you if we find anything." Thatch sent her a smile that made Emmie roll her eyes. His eyes moved to Ki and the smile slowly faded. He almost looked... frightened to leave her.

"I'm fine," Ki said and Thatch finally smiled at her.

"Sure, you are. We'll be quick." He patted Ori's back and they took off down a side street.

"I don't like this one bit," Emmie muttered to Ki who barely had the strength to nod in agreement. Whatever this was, it wasn't over.

Emmie guided Ki over a building and they sat down, leaning against the stone wall.

"I feel bad for leaving, but I have to check on the soldiers," Master Sarko said, looking at the two girls.

"I've got this," Emmie said. Sarko wavered, eying Ki who smiled weakly.

"You heard her, she's got this."

"I could carry you down to the horses," Sarko offered, but Ki waved him off.

"Just go, I'll be up and about in no time." Not that she believed that herself for one moment. 

As Sarko left, Ki turned to look at Emmie. The Earth Howler's face was filled with worry, but it wasn't directed at her.

"Ori will be fine," Ki whispered, her pale hand brushing Emmie's dark-skinned one. They looked so different yet were so similar. Ki struggled to keep her eyes open and finally decided it was alright to take a little nap.

It wasn't.