Chapter 2: No Matter What

Sunset Shimmer lay in her bed. She was still shocked after her dream, which featured Princess Luna, and was having trouble believing the news that had been passed onto her. "It can't be true!" She exclaimed, speaking out loud even though there was nobody else in her house. "Me, the next alicorn princess!" But although it was rather unexpected, something in Sunset's heart told her that Luna had spoken to her with nothing but honesty. She still couldn't believe it, though. How could she, a former villain, become a princess? Celestia was the very mare that she had turned against.

Sunset didn't leave her bed, consumed with thoughts about whether she should take the opportunity or not. The fate of Equestria sort of hung in the balance - and she knew that. That was one of the reasons why it was such a tough choice to make. She glanced at her alarm clock which was on her bedside table. It read 3:52 A.M.

"It's just too important," Sunset muttered to herself. "I'll probably fail! I can't even get A's on my exams." She was almost in tears, wanting to choose what was best, but if she was going to leave then she had so many things to do before the portal between her world and Equestria closed.

The following day, Sunset continued worrying about Luna's message and agonizing over her decision. Her teachers at school were a little annoyed at her for not concentrating on her work. They assumed that she was daydreaming or just being lazy, but Sunset didn't care because if she did return to Equestria, she wouldn't have to bother with school anymore. Ponies who her age didn't go to school, unlike humans.

Soon enough, it was interval and it was raining - but Sunset didn't care about that either. While most of the students stayed inside, she went outside, much to everyone's surprise and confusion. They must think that I'm crazy, she thought as she sat down by the horse statue that would lead her back into Equestria. She let out a long suffering sigh as she leaned her back against the statue. The cold rain plummeted down from the cloudy sky, dampening her hair. Staring blankly at her boots, she continued to ponder. Would she stay in this world or return to her homeland? Would the four princesses in Equestria (including Twilight Sparkle) hold a grudge towards her if she decided to stay?The thought of returning to Equestria hadn't once crossed Sunset's mind, let alone the fantasy of becoming the new Princess of the Sun! Maybe they had just assumed that she would agree, even though she had her own life in the human world. The rain gradually started becoming heavier, making Sunset's hair even wetter, and the thought occurred to her that she was truly alone in this world. Her friends cared about her, but they didn't fully understand her, did they? Why does it always rain when times are sad, anyway? She thought, watching the rain trickle down her legs.

A million more questions began running through Sunset's mind, First, what would happen if she forgot how to use her magic once she was back in Equestria? She had always been extremely talented when it came to spells, but she hadn't been a unicorn in a very long time (not counting the dream because that wasn't reality). She would never be a unicorn again, no matter what she chose. Twilight and Luna had both clearly stated that Sunset would become an alicorn as soon as she travelled through the portal to Equestria. Second, what if nopony trusted her?! That would be more than horrible. Sunset had already faced harsh rejection and vicious rumours at Canterlot High School. Everyone hated her after the formal dance when she had transformed into a raging demon, enslaved all of the students and attempted to take over both worlds. For so long, nobody except the school's musical girl band known as the 'Sonic Rainbooms' spoke to her. She definitely didn't want to go through all of that again.

Sunset cradled her aching head in her hands, wondering if she was able to take her mobile phone with her, along with other non-Equestrian luxuries. Hmm, probably not, she thought with another sigh. Would she even be able to fit in with other ponies due to her long absence?

Oh, there were too many questions in her mind. . .

"The first thing that I need to do," she whispered to herself, "is to tell my friends. No matter what I choose."

~*~*~*~*~

I know that it's a short chapter. Shut up.

- Raven ( ˘ ³˘)♥︎