Chapter Fifteen

All my skin tingled while I seemed to hang suspended. The changes didn’t hurt me physically, but I had to admit they absolutely terrified me. My bones were readjusting their shape and size, some simply disappearing or forming, and I had no idea how in the world this was happening.

My paws hit the ground and I trembled for a moment in anticipation. The sun warmed my thick blue-black fur, reflecting the slightest purple shine. From what I could tell I was larger than most wolves, having maintained all my mass.

Lacey was bouncing around excitedly within the confines of my mind with such an energy that she pushed me out and took control. For a moment it was like I was staring out the window on a plane; I could see all that was going on, but I had no control or voice in it. Except, this was my own body.

In a panic I somehow ripped her away from the cockpit, and when she came at me again she struck a strong mental barrier I had put up as quickly as possible. When I was sure she couldn’t possibly strip me of my command I ignored her complaints and began to pad around the forest.

Going through nature in this form was definitely different than being a human. I felt a deeper sense of awe while I took in the overwhelming setting, connecting to it in more ways than ever before. It was a respect that flowed within my bloodstream for every single item of the woodland.

I stiffened when a twig snapped behind me, and by the time I had whipped around a snarl was shaking my skeleton. My lips had curled back as far as possible, barely holding back the saliva that oozed from between the gaps of my canines. The muscles around the joint of my jaw ached as my throat rattled, but I stood my ground with my front legs squared and my haunches prepared to launch forward. Darker dorsal fur bristled as the not-so-quiet being approached.

The pungent smell was cold, rushing my nasal passages with a biting scent. It was like inhaling cinnamon or antifreeze, and I found myself sneezing uncontrollably. My attempts to draw the burning out by scratching at my muzzle was futile, but I maintained my ground.

Lacey wanted me to bite, telling me to disregard his life.

His?

Charles.

I tried to shake the name from my mind, but it clung to my head. It was a part of my life. I knew who I was, or so I thought, and trying to recall the familiarity was paining me.

Does Bat Boy ring a bell?

My muscles loosened immediately, and I moved from my defensive stance to pad up toward Charles. The icy winter fresh gum smell was incinerating the hairs in my nose, but I paid the slight pain no attention. By the time I found myself beside the bloodsucker I had rationalized the pain as a defense, and there was no actual harm occurring to my body.

Charles was tense, most likely unable to predict my next move, so I sat down and yawned to let him know there was no attack in mind. He squatted down uneasily, finding his eyes caught in mine.

“Hey Jace. I mean, this is you, right?” His voice was as tentative as the fingers reaching to touch me.

I nipped at his approaching hand to let him know what I thought of the nick name, and he laughed.

“Okay, just checking.”

Hey Lacey….

Is that me? When did I get a name….?

Unnecessary information. However, necessary information may include a way to talk to him. Any idea?

Well…. The word hung suspended, taunting me like a cat and string; Lacey was just waiting for me to take a swat at it. You could try humping his leg. That most certainly would say something, she snickered.