***

I didn't know what I'd expected from the inside of the Miller's barn—bales of hay or maybe horse stalls?—but a renovated entertainment space wasn't it. There was a cozy sitting area with a flat screen TV, both a pool and ping-pong table, and a wet bar nestled along the back wall. Once Sophie and I figured out the music, there was nothing left for us to do but wait for the party to start.

"Anyone want a beer?" Patrick asked.

Owen shook his head. "I'm driving."

"Ladies?"

"Yes, please," Sophia said as she plopped down on the couch in front of the TV.

"Um, do you have any soda?" I asked. Hopefully these people weren't like my friends back in Chicago, because I wasn't in the mood to deal with peer pressure tonight. I didn't drink anymore. Not since the night of the accident.

Patrick pointed at the bar. "In the fridge. There should be a few options."

"Thanks."

Over the course of the next hour, the teens of Coldwater flocked to the Miller's farm. For the most part, I lounged on the couches with Sophia, Owen, and a group of Sophia's high school friends. And to my utmost surprise, the party didn't suck. It felt good to talk to people my own age who weren't silently judging me for my past crimes.

Around ten, Sophia and company decided to play King's Cup. Owen busted out a deck of cards and everyone settled around the coffee table. The barn was starting to get stuffy and I wasn't in a participating mood, so I excused myself from the game and stepped outside for some fresh air. Lifting my hair off the back of my neck, I glanced around. There were more people out here than inside.

As I scanned the crowd, I spotted Patrick tossing a football around with a group of guys who looked like the resident jock faction. When he noticed me watching him, he handed the ball off to one of his buddies and started across the grass in my direction. I met him halfway.

"Hey there, Blondie," he greeted me. "Enjoying the party?"

"Yeah. It's a lot bigger than I imagined."

He laughed. "If you haven't noticed, there's nothing to do around here, so when someone throws a party, everyone and their mother shows up. There's kids here from at least three neighboring school districts."

Ohhh, that explains things.

"Evelyn?" called a familiar voice.

Glancing over, I found Briella standing next to the keg with a Solo cup in one hand and the tap head in the other. "I thought it was you!" she exclaimed, abandoning the beer. "When I couldn't find you at home, I figured you weren't interested in coming."

What in the world is she talking about? 

But then this morning's events rushed back to me—finding Fletcher in my bed, dragging him to Briella's room—and I put two and two together. This was the party she'd invited me to.

"Briella, hey..." I said, rubbing the back of my neck. "Sorry about that. Sophia offered to give me a ride and I didn't have your number so..."

It was a shitty excuse, but Briella didn't seem to mind. "No worries," she replied. "I'm just glad you're here." The corners of her eyes crinkled as she smiled at me.

"What's up, my little ginger fairy?" Patrick said, dropping an arm around her shoulders.

Briella rolled her eyes, but it was obvious she was biting back a grin. "Not much. How's my favorite chauvinist doing?" She bumped her hip against him. "Behaving yourself, I assume?"