Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

************************************

Caleb's eyelashes fall softly against his cheeks as he lays perfectly still in a coma of deep sleep.

I walk closer to his hospital bed and take hold of his hand. Mine is warm against his cold, limp one. It makes me sick to my stomach to think he may never wake up. Slowly leaning down, I kiss him on the forehead.

Just please wake up soon. I need you.

I never thought it would feel so different with Caleb not at school. He's now one of my best friends! It's weird not having him by my side in the halls or classrooms.

I feel two buzzes coming from my pocket. Obviously assuming it's my phone, I pull it out and find two texts from two different people.

Mathew and Lucas.

Mattman!!: Hey, you coming to school soon? I need to tell you something.

I giggle at the funny nickname he must've programmed into my phone. Focusing back on the message, curiosity slowly consumes me. What does he want to talk about?

I shoot back a quick reply telling him I'll be there soon. Then I open up Lucas' message.

Lucas :D: Mornin' Ev! Do you want to go catch a movie tonight?

Butterflies trample into my stomach. Lucas is a really sweet guy, and hot, really hot. Is he asking me out on a date? I message back a snarky question asking if he's trying to ask me out- along with a winky face of course.

I slip my phone into my back pocket and take Caleb's hand. Squeezing it lightly, I hold my gaze on his face.

Open your eyes.

Nothing happens. I squeeze his hand again, harder this time.

Please?

I squeeze my eyelids shut and feel one, single hot tear trickling down my cheek. Rushing my hand up to wipe it away, I make my way to the door as fast as I can. I absolutely hate crying, now I need a distraction.

As I jog past the front desk, Marissa- a girl who works at the front desk- waves to me and welcomes me to come again anytime. I've gotten to know her quite well from all the times I've visited Caleb, she checks me in. I wave back, then meet the chilly air outside.

Today seems like it'll be fun, Mathew has something to tell me and I might get to see a movie with Lucas tonight. Speaking of a movie with Lucas, I should be getting a text back from him any moment now....

I feel a buzz from my pocket. Must be Lucas!

I check my phone, but it isn't Lucas... It's my stepmom. Curious, I read to see what she says.

Cary: Hey sweetie! I'm sorry to say that something came up that dad and I have to take care of, so we can't take Maddie to school. Would you mind coming back to pick her up? I figure you're not at school yet right now, so it would really help, thanks Ev!

I sigh, guess I'll have to wait for whatever Mathew has to say. I start to drive back home, the morning air is fresh. I roll down my window and let the wind fly against my face. Once I'm pulling into my neighborhood the first thing I see is Maddie sitting outside the house on the curb. My eyebrows furrow, why would she be out there all alone? Where's mom and dad?

She stands up when she notices my car and moves onto the grass so I can park. Her eyes are wide with curiosity and fear. What is going on? She rapidly hops into the back seat.