Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

************************************

Someone pinch me. How is it that 8 years later I'm reunited with my old best friend with no notification? I can tell he recognized me right away, even though I didn't. He's grown much taller, his hair is a darker brown and his electric blue eyes look more wiser. He's wearing a black t-shirt that fits him nicely. Some old, blue jeans and a smile that I've always known and love.

"Hello again."

Those two words he said... In that voice that I haven't heard in forever..

Lucas's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, like a cold bucket of water on your just-woken-up face. "You guys have met?" Lucas asks with a raised eyebrow.

No words come out of my mouth, I just stand there awkwardly. I look to the ground and glance up to Mathew occasionally so that he'll hopefully answer instead.

"Oh, yeah. Um, a long time ago.." Mathew responds. Thank goodness! My mouth feels cemented shut. I feel like if I tried to speak my voice wouldn't work. I can feel Mathew still looking at me with his head tilted.

"I'll let you two catch up then!" No! Don't go! I'm not ready to be left alone with him. Lucas nudges me, "I'll see you later." He nods to Mathew, then he's gone.

I look back up to his eyes. He's studying me curiously. We just take in each other's presence. In third grade, we were just so close! We did everything together, but to kiss someone then just leave.. It feels awkward now. I look at everything and anything but him.

"Evelyn?" His voice.. I love that voice.

But where's mine? Why am I so speechless?

By the time I glanced up he had already closed the distance between us and developed me in a hug. His warm, strong arms wrapped around my body. He smelled good, I hugged him back. I closed my eyes and sighed deeply.

He chuckled and let me go. Why is he laughing? I looked at him, confused.

"Are you going to say anything at all?" I blushed, embarrassed, and looked to the ground. "Come on"-he bent down a little so I was looking straight into his eyes- "say something." He says with an encouraging half smile. I've said absolutely nothing to him yet.

I smile softly, "Uh, hi."

That's all you're going to say?!

Again with the voice in my head! I hear Mathew laugh, he puts his arm around my shoulder and we start walking forward.

"So! I heard you moved into Lucas's neighborhood."

I nod.

Time passes of us walking around the halls. I'm warming up to him more and more. He shows me around the school and gives me a tour of some of the things outside. It's truly amazing.

There's a basketball court inside and outside. A large field for football and a smaller one for soccer. A lake with a dock and some sand. There's an area for beach volleyball. I look at everything in awe. It's cold outside, but the fresh air is nice.

He tells me about his family. He has a mom, a dad, an older brother in college, and a younger sister Maddie's age. I ask him what classes he has this week and I show him mine. We have english, history, lunch, free period, art, and a cooking class together. I'm starting to get excited for this school year.

We laugh and tell stories of all the things or activities we've been doing. I tell him how I miss my friends, and how I don't have friends here. He tells me that he'll stick by me. I'm happy when he says that. It feels good to reflect all my past to someone who left it.