Chapter 4

I felt something wrap around me and pull me to the ground. I instinctively opened my eyes and saw the most astonishing thing I'd ever seen. 

  The man stood in a protective stance above me, legs astride my body. His arms were slightly away from his sides, palms forward. In each of his hands was a glowing sphere. What I thought previously was a round lantern seemed to actually be emanating from his very palms! They were the color of lightning, and encapsulated what looked like electricity. He raised his arms, at his sides, to chest height and brought his hands together in front, smashing the spheres into each other with unrivaled force. A shockwave burst from them, leveling everything for at least fifty feet in every direction.  

  I had never seen anything like it. I just lay there, in total disbelief, with my eyes wide and my mouth hanging open.

  He reached down towards me with his hand. I simply stared at him. I was half expecting him to say, 'come with me if you want to live.' Instead he just stood there patiently and said, "As I explained, it is not safe for you here. You must go home."

  "Who... are you?" I asked, slowly reaching toward his hand, still in complete shock and total disbelief.

  "I am Master Sorin, a Guardian from The House of Gryphon," he replied bowing his head slightly as he introduced himself. He took hold of my hand and raised it to his mouth as though he was going to kiss it, stopping just short. His eyes flicked up to look at me while he inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of my skin. The action was so unexpected I didn't know how to react. I was mesmerized by the way he looked into my eyes. It felt as though he saw every part of me. It was way too sensual a look to get from a complete stranger.

  I opened my mouth and then closed it, then tried a second time. "Did you just... smell me?" Weird.

  He smiled. "If you come with me I will help you."

  "C... come with you wh... where?" I asked, having trouble forming words, trying to decide if all of this was actually happening.

  "Home of course."   

  "I can't... I won't leave without Emily," I said and turned to walk away. He grabbed hold of my arm and gently pulled me back. I tried to resist him but he was far stronger than me.

  I looked down at the ground with my building frustration. I couldn't lose another sister. I could feel my eyes beginning to well up. He put his hand under my chin to pull my head up. I turned away. I didn't want to look into his eyes again.

  I just wanted my sister back.

  "You cannot stay here alone. They will not be down for much longer. What I did does not kill them, it merely stuns them for a short period of time." I felt him intently staring at me as he spoke with a commanding tone.

  "Can you help me find her? Please?" I pleaded with a flood of tears. "You seem to be able to handle yourself against them." I looked around at the things sprawled across the ground.

  He opened his mouth to speak, but hesitated. I knew he was going to turn me down.

  "Please?" I sobbed and looked up at him. I saw his eyes searching mine and I hoped he would see the anguish that I held inside. "Please," I whispered again faintly.

  "My abilities are severely diminished and will take time to restore. I am unable to do that here. If you wish, you can accompany me home." He paused, "From there I will do all that I am able to help you." 

  I shook my head and began to walk away. "It's okay, I'll stay and look for her myself." I mumbled in distress, wiping away my tears. I can't believe this is happening.