Chapter 2

I awoke with a feeling of dread, like a scar on my soul, which regularly accompanied forgotten dreams. I wasn't sure what was worse, the nightmares I remembered or the ones I couldn't. I often wondered how horrible a dream would have to be for my brain to refuse to allow me to recall it. It was like I could almost grasp it and then it was gone, leaving behind an inexplicable feeling of... something more than loss, more like abandonment. I had hopes that spending time with my sister, Emily, would help to soothe my sad soul, but feared nothing ever would.

I reached into the cooler on the seat beside me for a much needed soda. It was only a few more hours to my destination but my lack of sleep lately forced me to pull off the road or risk ending up in the ditch. I was retreating to my childhood haven to pick up the remaining pieces of my fractured life.

The evening shade was closing in as I drove the gravel road leading to my family's cabin nestled deep in the Rocky Mountains. There was a time I would stare out the windows at the forests along the way, barely able to contain my excitement over all of the fun and adventures that were awaiting my arrival there. Not this time. Since my sister Elizabeth's death, everything I saw was a haunting reminder of how good life used to be. I wondered if anything would ever be good again.

The sadness that clouded my mind tainted my view of the world around me. What I used to view as bright and beautiful was now gloomy and grey. I felt as though even the trees blew back and forth in a mocking dance, taunting me to dare think life could ever be beautiful again.

My heart skipped a beat as I turned down the tree-lined driveway. For the past few years Elizabeth had been living out there and would greet me with a huge smile as I approached. A foolish part of me had hoped to see that smile again this time. Instead, the gambrel roofed cabin and the shimmering turquoise lake in behind, welcomed me as though they too felt my loss. There had been a record amount of rainfall and it was as though the cabin itself wept raindrops of sadness or maybe it was sympathy.

I shook my head and laughed to myself. I hadn't realized volunteering to come out and pack up Elizabeth's things would cause my mind to imagine inanimate things relating with me. Thankfully Emily was on her way out to help or I might have ended up pouring my heart out to a stick. I rolled my eyes when I caught myself eyeing up a sympathetic looking branch.

Opening the cabin door, the smell of fresh cut hydrangeas greeted me. Beside the large vase of my favorite flowers was a piece of paper with a smiley face. For the first time in a long time I found myself grinning. There was only one person they could be from and he was the best friend in the world. Josh. He had stopped by in a very good attempt at brightening my spirits as only he could do. Thanks to him I felt my dark cloud slightly recede. With a smile on my face I made my way back to my Jeep to unload my suitcase and whistled for my dog, Max, to follow me inside.

As I stepped towards the cabin door I felt a faint but familiar creepy twinge, like someone was watching me. I glanced around and not seeing anything I shook my head, talked myself out of being afraid and headed inside.

I heard the roar of my sister's car only a few minutes later. I was so excited to see her. She looked so beautiful, as always, with her chin length blonde hair and her sparkling green eyes. Dressed in her favorite her favorite yoga capris and tank paired with black ballet flats, she was the embodiment of relaxation. I ran out to greet her with tears stinging my eyes. I couldn't wait to spend the next few weeks together.

"I'm so glad you made it!" I squealed, running to hug her.

"Oh," she sighed, "me too, I thought I'd never get here. It's so good to see you." She hugged me back. "I see you brought your baby," she reached down to pet my mountain lion of a Shih Tzu, Maximus.