Natsu's eyes were soft and his cheeks were red and he almost appeared...shy. When he spoke, his voice was low and rocky, tone absolutely serious.

"You're just...you're so beautiful, Luce. I figured you deserved better."

Her cheeks went red. "I want you."

Natsu tried to suffocate the goofy, embarrassing grin that was bubbling to the surface, but he couldn't quite stop it; his lips twisted up and his cheeks went red and his eyes dropped to his shoes. "Well...good. 'Cuz I want you, too, Luce."

And so, they danced.

Slowly, kids began to pile into the gym. Within fifteen minutes, the place was packed; the dance floor was filled and the snack bar line was working its way around the entire gym. The DJ had to increase the volume on the speakers so that the music was audible over the chattering and laughing of the teenagers.

The songs picked up, and everyone was dancing. Lucy and Natsu took a couple breaks to get water and snacks, but for the most part, they danced the night away.

And in the middle of one song, Natsu, all sweaty from dancing, pulled Lucy close and whispered in her ear.

"Wanna be my girlfriend?"

And Lucy had blushed and laughed and nodded back, because yes of course, she would be absolutely fucking honored to be his girlfriend.

They danced and laughed and had the time of their lives. Lucy made sure to track down the girls—they'd been observing Lucy dancing with the pink haired boy in utter confusion—and explain to them what had happened.

"So, wait a second!" Juvia said after Lucy explained shorthand what had gone down. "You liked Natsu the whole time but you were just best friends with him so you went on a date with that Gray guy but you still liked Natsu and Natsu liked you the whole time too but he never said anything and you never said anything but you both kind of acted like it and he tried to bet on you but Gray won the bet but Natsu interrupted the dinner and confessed everything to you and now you're dating?"

Lucy blinked at her friends. "Um, yes."

"So does that mean Gray is single?"

Lucy had laughed and dragged Juvia to the snack bar, where a rather glum looking Gray had been sitting, stuffing his face. She'd introduced the two—Gray's face had lit up immediately—and left them chatting, returning to Natsu on the dance floor. Throughout the night, she'd glance over to check on them; the two hadn't left the corner of the gym, too busy chatting to care about dancing. Things seemed to be going well.

The girls disappeared one by one, all incredibly excited that they were at a school dance where boys were, all getting asked to dance by random fellows. Lucy couldn't track any of the girls down other than Juvia, but she figured everyone was fine.

After a couple hours of dancing, Natsu and Lucy were ready to go. They didn't need to say it—the look on both of their faces confirmed that they'd had enough sweaty dancing and were ready to lay down, watch a movie and eat some snacks.

Natsu grabbed Lucy's hand and hauled her through the crowd, making sure no one bumped her or jostled her in the slightest. Girls whispered about the two of them, pointing and wondering aloud if they'd finally hooked up; the conversations made Lucy blush.

They stepped out of the school, the night air refreshing against their sweaty skin; they made their way around the corner of the school, headed towards the back, to the path that lead to their homes. There were a couple street lamps that lit the way, but for the most part, it was a shrouded, shadowy walk alongside the side of the school.