independence day

"And that is the last box!" Chris closed the trunk of Bri's car and walked her up the steps to their new, but shared, home. He gently pushed Bri inside as he closed and locked the door.

Looking around at the details, she realized his house was very cozy and welcoming. Even though she'd only seen it through pictures, she could tell that Chris definitely did not choose the furniture himself.

She smiled up at him, brushing her hands off on her pants. "Thank you so much, Chris, you are literally a life saver." Bri hugged his neck, making him chuckle and start to lift her off the ground.

"Bri, you know I would do anything for you, or your family." He swung her around, making her throw her head back with laughter. She simply couldn't wait to live with him. "Especially anything to make you the happiest girl in the world."

She rolled her eyes at that.

The truth was, she'd graduated from college at twenty-two years old and decided to spontaneously move to Atlanta. Chris didn't mind helping her, seeing as their families were friends and he went to school with her sister, Julienne, for most of his life.

The Evans family never disappointed her. Chris' mom let Bri escape her own mother from time to time. She found refuge in the small basement that Chris and Scott sometimes shared. They also spent various Thanksgivings and Christmas Eve's together, resulting in goofy pranks and the best gifts. It usually ended with Bri kicking Scott in the gut and Chris cuddling her to sleep.

Chris was like her brother. He looked after Julienne when she went to attend New York University, constantly kept in touch with Bri, and even offered to help with her student loans after her graduation (which she denied several times.) He couldn't help but to be proud of the strong woman she had become.

The two started slowly moving and kicking boxes to her new room, Chris honestly doing most of the work. He griped for a second until Bri pointed out the fact that is was more exercise for his Captain America physique.

"So what have you been up to, other than growing up on me?" Chris asked, plopping face down on Bri's new bed.

Bri blew some hair out of her face and rolled her eyes, "Well, since Jules moved back home I knew I needed to get out of Massachusetts... and away from some other stuff."

"Has it gotten that bad?" He asked, playing with the strings on the blanket she'd laid out.

Bri smacked her lips together and fell down beside Chris. Sparing a few details, she said, "You know how it is. I just wanna be a little more independent. I actually got a few job offers down here with some producing stuff, so lets pray that works out."

Chris side eyed her, slowly rising to unpack a box. "Oh, well you know you can use me as a job reference."

It was her turn to side eye him. She would never use him like that, and she promised herself that she would always work for what she wanted. Her scoff made Chris stop the suggestion from going any further.

They moved in silence for a few minutes, the sound of ripping tape echoing throughout the room. "I hope this room is okay, but I have another spare just in cas-"

"Chris it's perfect. Honestly, you could've told me I'd be living on the couch and I still would have moved in." Bri rolled her eyes and patted his shoulder. She started folding random things and shoving them in drawers. Suddenly, her curiosity got the best of her and she was itching to ask, "Why did you buy a house with three rooms anyways?"

He sat on the floor and sighed, "Sometimes Seb likes to stay here when we film. He lives in New York and it makes more sense for him to stay in my humble home instead of a hotel." Chris' tone perked up at the mention of this 'Seb' character. "I guess I keep extra rooms when a friend needs help."