2.29 - Taking a Break

Start from the beginning

Dried leaves crunched under my boots while I climbed the steps of the park entrance. There were only a few adults around, some waiting for their kids while some were waiting for their lovers. I walked on the grass and towards the bench to sit. Another cool breeze passed by, I pulled my coat closer to my body for warmth. The weather report said that it will snow next week but the way fog escaped my mouth every time I exhaled I think it's going to snow early.

I looked around the park and my eyes stopped when they saw a pair of blue eyes. I looked at him smiling at the woman in his arms and kissing the top of her head. I exhaled again when I found myself wishing that those blue eyes were of Ian's and the woman in his arms were me. Suddenly Caleb's words flashed in my brain.

You have to choose, me or him.

How can I choose between them? If I choose Caleb I'll lose Ian and if I choose Ian I'll lose Caleb but I don't want to lose anyone. Even though I know of my past now I still can't bring myself to choose Caleb. Everyone said their side of the story which included me but what about my side of the story? I will never know. If I take my decision based on this theories it won't be a fair decision.

Suddenly my phone began to ring in my pocket. I removed it out and saw Emily's name flashing on the screen. I've had enough of ignoring everyone. I thought that secluding myself will help but I need to talk to someone and she is the right person so I answered the call.

"Hey!" I said.

"Hey, Al! How are you?" She asked. "Good, I think," I answered. "Where are you?" She asked. "In the park near the kid's school waiting for them," I answered. "Are you going to meet Nate?" She asked, a cry was heard in the background and I assumed it was Seth. "Maybe," I said in a low voice. I do want to meet him, I miss him dearly.

"Talk to me Al, we are best friends, aren't we?"

"I don't know Em, I don't remember anything." my voice quivered "and I want to, I want to so badly. I know everything but I don't remember it." I added, a bile rising up my throat.

I was greeted by silence from the other side. "You want to know your side of the story?" She asked to which I nodded but then I realised she can't see me so I hummed in reply. "I can help you with that. Not the entire side but a glimpse of it." She said. "How?" I asked curiously. "Hold on a minute." She said instead and I heard some shuffling from the other side. I waited patiently and anxiously while the shuffling continued on the other side. Suddenly everything went silent. With anticipation, I waited for Emily's voice.

"Dear diary," She began. " I know it sounds cliche to write a diary and address it as dear, but I'm sick. Sick of me not being able to talk to somebody about my feelings. It's September now. I used to love Septembers as it pours down and I can get soaked in the raindrops but now as I sit near my window watching the water hit the glass and fall down with a cup of brewed coffee, I don't seem to feel happy. Maybe that's because 11 months are over. 4 months since anyone talked to me except for Aiden keeping tabs on me. Emily refuses to talk, for she is still against the idea of me letting Ian go so easily. She thought in the span of 12 months he will fall for me and we'll have our happily ever after." She chuckled humourlessly.

"I used to believe in those until now but I'm happy for her. Happy that she cleared out her differences with Drake and now their relationship is pretty progressive. As for Ian and Ashley, they only seem to grow closer each passing day. Part of me just wants to end it." Emily sniffled before continuing.

"End all of this torment and free myself from all this sadness I have pent up inside me and then I think, I'm not a loser. I'll not give up so easily. I will fight until the end even though the fight is with me giving in to my weak side I will do it. I will stay strong until the end. Ian tried to talk to me. Trying to ask me the reason I was avoiding him. What should I answer him with? That 'Hey! I was coming to you to express my undying love for you and saw you sucking faces with my sister and yes, that broke me, it fucking tore me apart.' I can't be in this house or any other place and watch them go hand in hand and smile at each other like they are the only couples in this entire universe. I know this is the first and last time I'm writing a diary but I want to say something that I never said out loud. I love you, Ian, I will always love you, forever."

Now there was only silence on the other line. With the back of my hand I wiped away the escaped tear from my cheek and took a deep breath.

"Your dad gave it to me after your 'supposed' burial." She said, now her voice a little stable. "My burial?" I asked composing myself. "Yes! After we heard about your accident we found a burnt body in it. It was unrecognisable but the body had your mother's necklace so we assumed it was you." She explained. Suddenly my mind went back to the dream I had when I was unconscious.

"So that was not a dream." I mumbled. "What?" Emily asked as my eyes landed on a familiar face struggling to walk with tons of boxes in her hands. "Nothing. I'll call you later, Em!" I said and disconnected the call quickly.

"Jane!" I called before standing up from my seat and walking towards her to help her. She stopped and looked around until her eyes landed on me. "Sapphire! Dear, how are you?" She asked and pulled the box up and rested it securely on her waist. "I'm good. Where are you going with so many boxes? Here, let me help you." I said and moved forward to take the box from her hand. "No dear, I'll manage. Sir's cabin is getting renovated so the things are moving." She said.

"Oh! I replied. "You didn't know?" She asked. Now what do you I tell her? Her sir and I are no longer on talking terms? The close friendship we shared six years ago was on the verge of breaking?

"I do! It just slipped out of my mind." I gave her a fake smile whilst rubbing my forehead. "Oh! How silly of me. Can you give this to Sir? It was in his upper drawer. It seemed important since it had the red marking. If it stays with me it will definitely get lost." She said and handed me a white envelope with a smile. I nodded and smiled back at her.

I watched as she walked towards her car and dumped all the boxes in the backseat before getting into the driver's seat and driving off.

I glanced at the envelope in my hand curiously. It was already open so it won't harm to take a look at it. Anyways I'll not understand any bit of it so I started walking out of the park and towards the school while opening the envelope and unfolding th piece of paper inside it. My feet halted, my stomach clenched as I read the words over and over again. "Caleb knew! He knew all along." I mumbled in disbelief as I glanced back at the DNA papers in my hand. 

Suddenly tyres screeched beside me making me look at the direction to find a black truck stopping right next to me. The door opened and a hand grasped my arm, pulling me inside the truck. I screamed when I was forcefully made to sit on the seat before the door was shut and the truck started the move. A sharp pain surged through my brain making me scream louder, that's when I realised I was hit by something. The pain was crucial, it felt like some was stabbing a knife in it and dragging it down slowly. Black dots splashed in front of my vision before that's all I could see. 

* * * * * *

Hey guys! Here's another update. I hope you guys like it. I had a little trouble while writing this chapter but now everything is fine and up. I think I'll update another chapter by the end of the week. 

Also where are you guys from? I'm curious to know where are my readers from. If you are curious about where am I from then let me tell you I'm from Mumbai, India. Any Mumbaikar?

Until next time,

Toodles!