2.28 - Story of Alison Cullen

Start from the beginning

"She convinced me to stop avoiding her and I couldn't say no so we were on speaking terms. Later she asked me who is the girl I'm in love with. I wanted to lie to her but I couldn't and I told her it's her sister. Next thing I know I'm securing a drunk Alison in my car. At that moment too I felt something for her, something noticeable." I could see the corner of his lips tuck upward and I couldn't help but smile myself. 

"She decided to set me up with her sister. I know it sounds crazy and it was, but being the selfless person she was, she did it. She did set me up with her sister but in the process, I fell for her. Before I believed I was in love with Ashley but Alison was the person who made me realize what it actually feels like to fall in love with someone. I came to know the difference between first love and true love, as Drake puts it in. When I saw her removing the wedding ring I cried and that entire night I cried out loud."

"I was again put in the same situation. I was standing at the altar thinking about my decision but this time I was destroying three lives and I was not going to let that happen. I stood there watching the love of my life walk away and I knew I had to stop this and her, but Ashley said something to me that stopped me from stopping my love walk away from me."

"What did she say?" I asked.

"She said that she was pregnant, with Nathan." He answered. "After that, I learned that Alison was in love with me all along. What I thought was preventing me from breaking her heart was actually breaking it. She was in so much pain because of me. I have no idea what she might have gone through but I know it was emotionally impossible for any person but she did it. She went through it, I put her through it and I'll never forgive myself for that."

"I called her to apologize and she said 'forget that I was in your life, live happily' but I couldn't because that was the last time I heard her voice. There wasn't a single day when I wouldn't visit Alison's grave. I apologized to her every time I went there with her favourite flowers. I talked to her for hours, repeating the things I couldn't say to her when she was alive."

I saw a tear rolling down his cheek and I had an urge to go and wipe it off but I knew the story hasn't ended yet.

"After months Ashley gave birth to Nathan and that's when I realized Nathan was not my son. When I asked her for answers she answered with 'I never said it's your baby I just said I was pregnant.' That day I blamed her equally for Alison's death and that was also the last time I talked to her for more than a sentence. Even though Nathan was not my son he was still my responsibility. As time passed he became my son from my responsibility. We don't share blood but we do share a bond." 

"Six years passed, I was alive but wasn't living because she wasn't by my side. Things changed drastically in those years. Many relations were at stake and few relations were made. New York held too many memories so we decided to move away and Chicago was perfect. We were not aware many lives were going to change because of that decision." Ian finished. He didn't need to say the rest because I was aware of the rest of the story

Ian went silent after that and I too didn't make any attempt to break the silence. I was aware of the throbbing pain in the back of my mind but I was too busy processing all the information in.

Six years. I spent six years of my life thinking about my past. Although I never had the chance to find it I always wished to know about it but never in my imagination I thought the truth to be revealed like this.

My past was surrounding me for months and yet I was unaware of it. I felt betrayed. So many people lied to me.

Marie, Mr.Brown, Emily, Drake, Marie, Aiden and even Ian!

All my questions were answered today but one question still remained.

"I still have one question though," I said. Ian nodded his head with his back still facing me. "Are you..?" I trailed off, unable to form the question. Ian sighed again and slowly turned around to look at me. He stared into my brown eyes and nodded his head.