Code LVI: The Gleaming Reality

Start from the beginning

"You're going to go to the data room," she seethed quietly, "and you're gonna stay put. I'm not going to deal with you, you childish asshole, after all we've done and all we've succeeded. We have come way too far to have your sorry ass hinder our progress. So you are going to listen to me without complaint, and later, after we're done debriefing, you can go. Do you understand?"

Levi stared at her with wide eyes and raised a brow. Placing his hand on hers, he eased it off his collar and straightened out his shirt before moving past Hanji.

"I said, do you understand?" she repeated.

"What do you think?" Levi scoffed, pointing towards his direction. He was headed to the data room. Rolling his eyes, he left Hanji.

Hanji heaved a deep breath and headed back into the dining room. As she opened the door, everyone flinched and shot her nervous glances. She mustered a smile and took her seat, resuming her meal without a word. Everyone looked at one another and slowly began to eat again, one by one.

"So, you're really just gonna do that," Connie grunted with a full mouth, knitting his brows. "What is this, some kind of Netflix drama? Tell us what's up with Captain Levi!"

"Do you ever shut up?" Sasha whispered, giving him a light kick in the ankle.

"What? I'm serious! And I know you were all thinking it, too!" He glared around the table, and nobody could refute him. Hanji finished chewing and wiped her mouth with a napkin.

"There's no need to worry about our Captain," she chirped with a smile. "He just needed to take care of a few errands. Later, we will be joined by him for debriefing. Now, finish your food! If you're hungry later, you'd better not complain, because you're talking instead of eating!" [me, familiar w this saying bc my mom scolded me all the time when i was a kid lmfao]

Connie opened his mouth to retort, but Hanji sent him a chilling smile, and he closed it. Dinner soon came to an end, and just like set-up, everyone participated in cleaning. Dishes were a nightmare after feeding such a large group of people, and it took several people to finish the job—mostly because Jean, who was supposed to do them all, complained endlessly. In exchange for shutting up, Armin, Vinicio, Mikasa, and Sasha agreed to help him.

After a short while, everyone came together in the data room. When they arrived, Levi was already there, waiting for them. He was poring over something on the control panel, and made no notion to acknowledge the others when they appeared.

The team gathered around the meeting table, their side chatter calming when Hanji raised a hand. There was no time to waste; debriefing started immediately.

"I want to begin with the pursuit on Omega," Hanji said, turning her attention to the trio who where assigned that objective. Everyone seemed almost relieved that she gave no room for anything else to be discussed. Esfir, Connie, and Armin gave solemn nods. "Have you found anything?"

"Barely," Armin answered in reply. He wore a grim expression. "Omega's trail ends at the scene of their latest murder. But we know for sure that this killer is affiliated with the Titans." He pulled a photo out from his pocket, placing it on the table and sliding it over to Hanji. It showed the bloody aftermath of a murder in a dark alleyway. Though barely noticeable, it was there—the Fleur de Lys. It was painted in blood on the brick wall of the alleyway, blending in with the maroon.

"How dare they taint the name of such a beautiful symbol," Esfir whispered with a click of her tongue.

Hanji took the photo into her hands and inspected it closely. Then she handed it to Eren, asking for him to take a good look at it as well.