Chapter 7

The next few hours were awkward. Thomas help move the furniture and I carried boxes full of clothes, books, and stuff. I felt the tension but I was not about to be the one to break it. Who could they have been talking about earlier? I was scared of the answer. "Polly do you want this lamp-" Thomas pointed to my lamp and it fell to the ground. The light bulb shattered and glass was everywhere. Dree started to laugh and I glared at him. "You two sweep this up and I'll go find Dad"

I ran downstairs and outside calling Dad's name. I was suddenly pushed up against the side of the house. I looked up into blue eyes and blonde hair. William? I began to shake and even though my body urged me to call for help or do something I couldn't even think. "Hello Polly" I bit my lip and looked away toward the road "William please let me go..."

"Why would I want to do that?"

"I-I um Thomas and Dree and just inside"

"Do you really think they can hear you?"

I saw the fire rage behind his eyes, he was thinking about the last time he made that threat. I was fighting myself once again debating on calling for help, last time nobody came, but at least this time I was at home and not at the school. "William!" I heard a harsh shout come from upstairs. William looked up shocked until he saw it was Dree. "Get away from Polly now William or I swear I will hurt you again!" Again? When had Dree seen William? I felt William back away from me and he looked up once before looking at me and saying "Later Polly" he winked and started walking away. I fell to the ground and cried. I didn't want Dree to notice so I went inside. I went to the room I used to share with Thomas and grabbed my diary rushing to the lake.

Dear Diary June 3

I saw him, I knew he was back, I think I should tell you the

story I have to tell someone who doesn't know.

It was a little before school ended and I had to stay after to wait for Thomas, that was when he helped the football players move stuff. I was sitting near the side of the building. William walked up, I knew him from the street fights Thomas attended in the city. I wondered what he was doing here but I didn't ask. He pulled me up and started to kiss me and I felt my mouth go dry and I was scared I told him I would call someone but he didn't think anyone could hear me. Things...well they went further than being kissed and he left me there in the grass crying and that's how Thomas found me. I lied about it for weeks but somehow I found the strength to tell him and Dree. William is going to hurt me again

Love Polly

~Dree's POV~

Thomas and me decided to let Polly have some time to think but after four hours I was worried. I knew Thomas wouldn't let me go after her so I told him I was going home that I had yard work to do. I rushed to the lake and I saw her diary lying in the grass. She was sitting on one of the huge rocks near the water her legs drawn to her chest. She looked as if she was thinking really hard about something. "Polly" Her head jerked up and she relaxed seeing me. "I should tell you something" I whispered sitting beside her. She put her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes. I can't tell her. "Go on"

"It was William I hit the other day"

"I know"

"Oh well..."

"Do you care about me?" She opened her eyes and turned to look at me and I smiled. "Yes of course Polly we are best friends I will always care for you" I saw her stiffen and she looked away, when she turned back around her eyes were filling up with tears. I wanted to ask her what was wrong but her voice distracted me "We should go back," she paused and smiled "best friend" I hated seeing her this upset but it was obvious she didn't want to talk about it and I was not going to force her. We walked in silence back to her house. "Don't tell Thomas I went to find you, he, um thinks I went home" "Okay" She smiled and started to go inside. "Polly!"

She turned slightly looking over her shoulder. "Yes?"

"Sweet dreams"

I walk away, knowing its me who has to make sure her dreams never become haunted again.