Chapter 23

*Lyla's P.O.V.*

I'm in love.

I sit in the back seat of Patrick's van, he had called someone to pick us up.

His hand rests on my thigh, warming me.

"Do you still get nightmares, Lyles?" His soft voice grabs my attention again.

"Sometimes." I bit my lip, chewing.

"When?" He asks, drawing circles on my leg with his fingers.

"When I'm not sleeping with you." I whisper.

He looks up, surprised.

"Lyla." He reaches up to touch my face, brushing away damp wavy hair.

He opens the glove compartment, taking something out.

"I made this in grade six. It's helped me, and i want you to have it." He pushed the item towards me.

A dream catcher.

"For a sixth grader? This is beautiful." I ran the smooth long feathers through my fingers.

"Thanks. That's a compliment right?" He winks playfully.

I smile, playfully pushing his shoulder.

"Thanks." I smile, happy that he showed some care in me.

He moved his hand from my leg to my hand, casually looking out the window.

I lock my fingers with his.

He looks at me.

"What? You don't like it?" I tease.

"No! It's just.... you've never held my hand. I've only held yours..... you know what i mean....." he babbles, his free hand running through his hair nervously.

I laugh, leaning forward in my seat.

"I was just kidding." I scrunch up my nose playfully.

He taps my nose, making my head jerk back instinctively.

He chuckles, looking away.

"This is my stop." I tell the driver, and he pulls into the round inning of my building.

I open the door, stepping out. I lean down, waving to Pat.

"See you on Sunday. This was really really fun." I spoke truthfully.

"Sunday, second date. Me too, Lyles. Remember to hang up that dream catcher!" He waves enthusiastically.

I grin, slamming the door behind me.

I run up to the doors, already feeling the rain soak into my shirt.

"Hey dad!" I open the door, throwing my keys on the couch.

"Lyles! I was getting worried... it's five already, and its raining pretty hard." He brings a towel out, drying me.

"Dad, I'm okay. The rain came out of nowhere, it was a surprise." I hold up the dream catcher, admiring it.

"What is that?" Dad asked baffled.

"A dream catcher Pat gave me." I blush when saying his name.

Dad stares back at me, not saying anything.

"What?" I ask.

Nothing's ever good when Dad's silent.

"You and Patrick are going steady now?" He gestures to the couch.

I sit down, and he stands over me.

"I wouldn't say steady, but i can really tell i like him. A lot." I say slowly.

"Lyla, i don't want you to get hurt." Dad sighs.

"What do you mean? Patrick's not going to hurt me." I say annoyed.

"Hear me out, Lyles. He's a professional, very famous hockey player. He's....he's wild. I don't thi--" i cut him off.

"Dad! How dare you think of him that way? Yes, he told me he used to be... a really wild person. But he's changed. He's changed for me." I say the last part quietly.

Dad sits down next to me, sighing.

"You've been hurt so many times in your life. I just don't want you to be heart broken when he leaves you." His eyes widen when he realizes what he says.

I'm done.

I get up, throwing the pillow aside.

"What the hell, dad? What do you mean when he leaves me?" I run into my room, slamming the door behind me.

I flop onto my bed, tears brimming at the edges of my eyes.

Patrick and I will show my dad that we're something serious.

Before Patrick, i was a careful, quiet girl. Now, I'm crazy, alive, and for the first time in a long time, i feel happy.

I hang up the dream catcher, listening for dad's footsteps. I laugh bitterly. He's not even trying to make me feel better.

I look up at the dream catcher, the sunset screaming orange.

I crawl into my bed, stomach growling. I don't care, I'm not leaving my room.

I close my eyes, drifting farther and farther.

I know one thing for sure.

I love him.

Love.

A/N: The super cutesicle dates always come before dad troubles. Oh, daddy. Trust Patrick and Lyla!

Q: Would you trust Patrick, given his past?