Chapter 10

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

I stare at my phone, anxiously awaiting.

I texted Lyla, I'm worried about her. I haven't spoken or seen her since that night i held her in my arms.

I'd be lying if i said i didn't miss her.

"Dude. Don't just stare at your phone like that. Call her." Jonathan grinned.

"It's complicated....." i sigh, "I don't know if she's still in for that Gala after what happened....."

"Just ask her." Jonny shrugs, "It doesn't hurt to ask."

"You know what? You're right." I say, dialing her number.

"When am I wrong?" Jonny winks, walking away.

"Hello?" Lyla's usual soft voice was raspy.

"Hey." I say, "are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah, um, better. Thank you for, uh, taking care of me that night." Lyla says, unsure.

"Oh, that. No need to thank me. So....i was just wondering.....are we still on for Sunday night?" I asked.

I could hear her breath quickening.

"Yes." She says, sounding happy, and i could just picture her smiling.

"Great!" I grinned, giving off a laugh, "I'll pick you up at 6:00, alright?"

"Sounds good." Lyla says.

I hang up, sporting a stupid grin in my face.

Lyla has this weird affect on me that I've never felt before. She makes my insides melt, and I love it.

"How'd it go?" Jonathan walks in holding Alex's waist.

"She's coming to the Gala this Sunday." I play with my fingers.

"Pat's got a date, pat's got a date!" Alex sings.

"It's not a date!" I protest, laughing.

"Whatever you say." She waggles her eyebrows, "I want to meet Lyla anyways!"

"About that.... she's gone through some things that are better not to be brought up. You know, she stayed the other night? It was because she almost got sexually assaulted." I said softly.

I slowly told them the whole story, their faces growing sad.

When i finished, both Jonny and Alex looked back at me silent.

"Pat, are you sure about this?" Jonathan finally said.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"It's just that..... she's sounds like a great girl....... but it's hard to be with someone that's been through so much. You need to be patient with her, you need to be careful." Jonny says, playing with his fingers.

I suddenly felt annoyed at Jonny. I meet a girl who finally makes me feel this way, and he wants me to be 'careful'?

"I still don't understand." I pout.

"Well.....um, i don't think you should get to close to her. She could cause some.....problems? I don't know Pat, it's hard to say. She seems pretty broken." He says guiltily.

"Then she needs someone to heal her!" I protest, throwing my hands up, "I'm going to stay close to her no matter what you say." I shake my head.

"Alright, Pat, jeez. I was just warning you." Jonny backs away, and i feel bad for yelling at him.

"Sorry. Lyla's different, okay?" I say softly.

"I know. I can tell." Jonathan smiles.

"She's important." I say.

I feel like I've known her forever, even though it's been a week.....

It's just like in this song Alex showed me.

I put my earphones in.

Between Us, by Peter Bradley Adams:

**

Hey stranger, or may i call you my own?

I know i don't know you, but there's somewhere I've seen you before.

Whatever your name is, whatever you do.

There's nothing between us, I'm willing to lose.

Just call me, if ever our paths may collide.

I want you to call me, under these darkened skies.

Whoever you love, whoever you've kissed.

The wandering between us, I'm willing to miss.

Now I'm drifting out over deep oceans, and the tide wont take me back in.

And these desperate nights, I call you again and again.

**

I pause the song, feeling tears stinging in my eyes. I can't believe she was almost raped. I hurt so much for her.

And her scars. I don't know what had caused her to cut, but i feel pain whenever i look into her stormy eyes.

She's a mystery, and i can't solve it.