Chapter 6

The answer is in the rocks. I get ready for school trying to imagine what the hell that could mean, but come up with nothing. How come Anthony's dad wanted him to find me? If Anthony wasn't such a cool guy, this would be creepy. And I don't mean cool like Jaxon's cool; cool like good person cool.

***

MacKenzie and the others ignore me in the schoolyard. It doesn't take me long checking out how each kid greets each other to work out that MacKenzie is the new sheriff and Jaxon her consort. The two of them walk around in circles, chattering animatedly. When they pass by me, I can hear that they're talking about reality TV shows. It's the sort of conversation I normally have with MacKenzie, but I don't miss it. I've never really been interested in reality TV; I just watched it so I could stay up to date. I miss the association with MacKenzie though, but I also feel like I've been released. Tonight I can watch whatever the hell I want on TV.

I watch Taylor and Pippa fall into step behind MacKenzie. Instead of following them, I go to the bike shed.

Anthony's there, unchaining his bike. Harriet's there too. She's prattling on about chakras or something. They don't look up so I walk to my classroom alone. I can't remember the last time I entered a classroom by myself. I feel like someone's shrunk me back into my six-year-old body.

I'm not sure what else to do, so I just sit at a desk and wait for my first class to start. Like a nerd. I take out my phone and check my social media. No new notifications, but the kids who are now entering the room won't know that. I scroll through pages of pictures I've already seen, and my mind wanders.

The answer is in the rocks? Anthony and his dad lived in Sydney. Maybe it's the suburb there called The Rocks. Or diamonds. Or crack. I hope it's diamonds.

Anthony bursts into the classroom. He's alone.

He hesitates when he sees me sitting there, but I smile and say, 'Hey.'

Anthony smiles too. He sits down in the desk next to mine. 'Hey.'

'I've been thinking about what your dad said,' I say. 'About the answer being in the rocks. I've thought more about it than I've thought about anything, but I've no idea what he meant.'

'Me either. And I've been thinking about it for a year longer than you.'

The bell rings and more kids dribble into the classroom. They look at Anthony and me with curiosity, but then MacKenzie, Jaxon, Taylor and Pippa enter en masse. The other kids don't say anything and take their seats. When MacKenzie sees me sitting next to Anthony she raises her chin a little higher and takes hold of Jaxon's hand. The four of them go sit at the opposite side of the room.

I feel the same way I did last year when Miriam let me off doing chores and cut my allowance – I was happy to get out of the chores but sad about losing the cash.

***

I'm walking home, still thinking about those rocks, when I hear peddling coming from behind.

'Hi, Anthony,' I say without turning around.

'How'd you know it was me?'

'Have you ever noticed how empty the bike shed is? You're the only kid who rides to school.'

Anthony laughs. 'I guess I am. Hey, do you want to come over to my house? Mum and I finally unpacked.'

I should be strategising how to get back in with MacKenzie, but I'm enjoying this light feeling.

'OK,' I say to Anthony. 'Lead the way.'

He turns into a side street and I follow him.

***