Chapter 1

"You're being released from the hospital today." Aunt Hiroe said quietly, closing the door behind her as she entered the hospital room.

I didn't avert my eyes from the window as I sighed. "Really? I still can't walk."

"The doctor said that the paralysis is only temporary," I felt her take one of my hands. "You said you can at least wiggle your toes, right? It's only a matter of days, now."

I hummed at that, gaze flicking toward the wheelchair that had been set up by the bed, turning to face my aunt's tired eyes as she squeezed my hand.

"You and Aizawa should be well enough to make it to the Sports Festival in a couple days," she told me, sitting down. "You've been looking forward to that since last year, right?"

I shrugged.

"C'mon, Osoroshi," Hiroe pled, smiling weakly. "Don't let this over exertion of your quirk scare you away-"

"I'm not scared of anything." I cut her off bitterly and turned away. She sighed again.

"Right..." she trailed off and slowly let go of my hand to lean back in her seat. "Then don't let your father's death hold you back."

I cringed at the hard tone she used and squeezed my eyes shut.

Aunt Hiroe had always been a 'take-no-shit' kind of person, even when it came to her own brother's death. Sure, she was mourning in her own... special way, but she'd never let anyone know it. In her eyes, she had to be strong for me; and I didn't need anyone wasting any more of their emotions on me.

I had been stuck in the hospital for two days recovering from a brief surgery the doctors insisted was necessary. Apparently, due to the extra power I received from my mother's quirk, I healed a lot faster than they had previously anticipated. Yet, sometime between surgery and being bed ridden, I had lost the feeling in my legs entirely, and with the addition of my eye sight going to shit, I was nearly convinced that I was dying after all.

But unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

With a few tests and needle poking, the doctors had concluded that the vision loss and paralysis were only severe side effects of overusing my quirks, and that I should regain both in a matter of a few days. Go figure, I guess.

My aunt was relieved, but due to my 'critical' state, only my relatives were permitted inside my hospital room; which meant no Iida and no overly persistent Bakugou, both of which came to the hospital daily to try and worm their way in. Ironically, never at the same time, though.

I was left with phone calls and videos chats, yet neither was the same as actually seeing Iida. In other words, I was glad to receive the news of finally being able to depart from the hospital, nearly blind and paralyzed or not.

"Can we go visit Aizawa before we leave?" I queried after a while of silence.

Hiroe nodded. "He should be awake by now."

"When will he be released, do you think?" I asked another question while Hiroe began to gather our things.

"Before you're back to school, I'm sure." She nodded confidently, plopping her duffel bag on the foot of my hospital bed.

"I haven't gotten to see him since the USJ incident..." I mumbled, fiddling with the sheets blanketing my legs. "How bad is he?"

Hiroe glanced up from what she was doing briefly before trailing over to the window seat to grab her coat. "He's layered in bandages and both of his arms are broken, but he's fine..."

Hiroe paused for a moment and I looked up. She was running her thumbs along the fabric of her coat. "Y'know, he heard about Hyoga."

"It was only a matter of time." I replied quietly, looking down again.