Impatience

Finding Karkat wasn't the hard part. In fact, it was rather easy. The hard part was getting him alone. He was almost always around at least one other person. Usually Dave or Terezi. It was annoying. Nepeta spent a lot of time stalking him. Days? Or had it been a week? She'd tried to stop thinking about time, but it kept coming back to her, despite the fact that she no longer cared. She was rapidly growing obsessed with her new prey. While watching him, she would often daydream, in vivid detail, about what kind of pain she would inflict on him. Maybe she would take her time with him. She'd gone much too fast with Gamzee, but she was desperate that time. She was much less eager to kill Karkat. She wanted him to die slowly. Painfully slowly. And she knew she would love every moment of his suffering.
        But how to get him alone? That was the question. Nepeta was growing rather impatient, but knew she needed to wait to strike. She couldn't attack Karkat until the perfect moment. When he was asleep would be ideal. But, ideal or not, sleep is an annoying thing to wait for when your prey is an insomniac.
        She followed him for a long time. Hours? Or was it days? She needed to wait for him to fall in to a deep enough sleep that she could approach him unnoticed. The less struggle, the better. But when he did sleep, he slept lightly. Only for short periods of time. How long would it take for him to actually sleep decently?
        Finally, after an amount of time that was both too long, and not nearly as long as Nepeta had started to suspect, Karkat ended up in a decent slumber.
        There was only one problem.
        Karkat was sleeping, curled up, beside someone. The human called Dave. The human's arms were around Karkat, and they both seemed very comfortable. Nepeta decided she had waited long enough. She would attack. She had no use for the human, but he would be difficult to kill, as both of the humans were god tiers. But if she left him damaged... that would alert everyone to her intentions, and it would scare them. Terrify them, even. She smiled to herself, deciding she liked that idea. In a swift movement, Nepeta lept from the vent and pounced on the pair, who shouted in surprise. She needed to shut them up. She whacked Karkat with the back of her metallic claws, hitting hard enough to knock him out. Then was the human, who looked up at her with fearful, angry red eyes as he struggled. Nepeta held her hands pressed over his mouth, but she could feel him trying to break free. She needed to put him out of commission. She needed him to not be a threat. Furthermore, she needed to send a message. Nepeta raised one clawed hand and slashed across one red eye, then the other. She enjoyed his muffled screams of agony as she waited for him to pass out. Then she dragged Karkat in to the vent. She'd handle the human some other time. When she felt like it.
        She shoved Karkat in to her room, shackling him to the table, like she'd done to Gamzee. Like last time, she decided to wait until he woke up. She licked the red human blood off her claws, deciding it wasn't too bad. Though she did prefer troll blood. She sat down to wait. She was eager to begin, but she could take her time now. No one was getting to them any time soon. She blocked off the vent.
~
        The others were nervous now. Dave, disoriented and with blood-soaked, somewhat poorly alchemized gauze wrapped over his eyes, felt he could only blame himself.
        "I should have protected him... I... I should have kept him safe..."
        "It's not your fault, Dave," Terezi said softly. "If it really happened the way you say it did, then there's nothing you could have done. And Karkles might still be alive."
        "She clawed out my fucking eyes Terezi!" Dave snapped angrily. "She sure as hell isn't having fucking tea parties with him!"
        "Maybe you could regain your sight if you got killed and revived?" Rose suggested. "I don't think that would be heroic or justified..."
        "Would death for a reason such as that not count as justified? Technically if you kill yourself or ask someone to kill you, that is suicide. Wouldn't suicide be a just death?" Kanaya glanced at Terezi. "Well? You're the expert on such matters."
        "I deal with criminal justice, not suicides!" Terezi exclaimed. "I really have no idea. It would make sense to count as justified... I honestly think it would."
        "Does it matter?" Dave said. "I'm blind and my best friend was kindapped by a psycho cat girl. Do you really think I want to stay alive to see how this plays out?"
        "Dave, none of us are going to kill you," Rose said calmly. "Nor are we going to let you kill yourself. You'll adapt, I know you will. And maybe next time you get killed and revive, you'll heal. And as for Karkat..."
        "I'll find him," Terezi interjected as Rose trailed off. "Like Kanaya said, justice is my thing. I'll bring Nepeta down. I promise."
        "Terezi-"
        "Don't, Dave. You'll figure things out. It's hard to adapt to being blind, but you'll survive. If Karkat is still alive, I'll find him. But there's no way you can take Nepeta down yourself. You can't even walk two feet without help. I promise, I'll either find him or avenge him."
        Dave sighed, nearly choking on a sob. "I just hope he's okay..."
        "He's a fighter," Kanaya said, putting a hand on Dave's shoulder. "Not a good fighter, but a fighter."
        "Yeah," Terezi agreed. "Not to mention he's stubborn as fuck. If anyone can survive Nepeta's psychoness, it's him."
        "But we don't know what she's capable of-"
        "Rose, shut up!" Terezi snapped. "We are trying to comfort Dave, not make him more upset!"
        "I'm blind, not deaf," Dave pointed out flatly. "Just go, Terezi. But you need to promise me something."
        "Anything," Terezi offered solemnly.
        "Give cat girl hell for me."