Sixteen: We Need to Talk. (Edited)

We Need to Talk.

It had been three days since Evita and I had gotten married and only a day since I put in my resignation as a teacher. While the school board had not been pleased with my choice to resign so early, they understood that my career as a lawyer came first and not as an English teacher. Walking into the kitchen, I kept my attention on the file I had in my hand and attempted to carefully make my way to the fridge, where I knew left over's from last nights dinner had been, but I had come to a stop when a hand had landed on my chest. Frowning from this, I looked away from the file to see that Evita stood there, a pointed look on her face as she grabbed the file from my hand and set it on the table.

"Hey!" I exclaimed but had been silenced when she placed her finger on my lips. She stared at me hard. I watched as she looked over my face as though I had been a stranger to her, which only caused a small smile to tug at my lips when I had realized she's never seen me with my glasses on. Licking my lips, I pulled them off, which caused her to frown. I set my glasses on the counter, next to the file, and wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling Evita close to me. Her cheeks had turned a shade of red, and she used her eyes to tell me something. I stared at her, watching as she had done this a few more times before I gave out a sigh and looked to my left to find that her mother and siblings had been in the kitchen.

Immediately, I released my hold on Evita - making sure she didn't fall, and put my glasses back on. Evita reached her hand out and grabbed my cheeks, forcing me to look at her again. How different did I look with glasses? Reaching my hand up, I removed Evita's hand from my face and pulled her into me, giving her a gentle kiss on her forehead, before stepping to the side of her and opened the fridge to find that my food had still been there.

"We need to talk," What did she need to talk about now? We had been talking nonstop the last three days and about nothing important at that. Licking my lips, I grabbed the plate of food and closed the fridge. Setting the plate on the counter, I gave Evita my attention, which earned a large grin from her. I held back the laugh that I wanted out as she leaned against the kitchen island. She began to fiddle with her fingers, which caused me to place my hand on top of hers. I hated when people did that. They made it seem as though the question or comment they were going to say would end the world, then again, I didn't suffer from severe anxiety as she did, so maybe this question did seem like the end of the world for her.

"Evita, talk to me,"

"My parents are getting a divorce, and he's kicked them out of the house. They have nowhere to stay, and I was hoping that maybe they can stay here?" I blinked from this. Okay, so maybe that question had been the end of the world. Scratching the top of my head, I looked over at Evita's family before looking back at her. I mean, there were more than enough rooms for them.

"Yeah, that's fine," I finally spoke as I turned to my plate of food and grabbed it, stepping around Evita so I could put it in the microwave. Setting it for three minutes, I turned around to find that Evita had been gazing at me, almost as though she couldn't believe that I would so easily allow her family to stay with us. Hell, if Evita decided to move to Rhode Island with me, I'd let her mom keep the house.

"Are you serious?" Evita finally asked.

"Yeah," I replied, lifting myself on the counter and sat down. Evita looked between her family and me. What was going on? Licking my lips, I reached for the file I had been reading, only for Evita to pull it away from my reach, making me frown from this. She wasn't going to make me have a conversation with them, was she? Especially her creepy little brother and sister? I held back my chills of terror at the memory of Thanksgiving with them. The both of them had stared at me the entire dinner, and I just didn't eat anything that day. Which had been disappointing, and I knew that I had offended Evita's mother from this.