Fifteen: Bells Toll. (Edited)

Bells Toll.

When Evita and I arrived at the courthouse, we were surprised to see that Jake stood there with Judge Lyal, Billie, Princess, Jasmine, Blake, Athena, and the media. He was not kidding when he said he would do what was needed to protect our marriage. Inhaling deeply, I reached my hand out and grabbed Evita's hand. She was quick to return the gesture by holding my hand and squeezing it. Had she been ready for the world to see our marriage? Had she been ready to see how mighty the family she was marrying into is? Looking over at Evita, I could see that she's overwhelmed by this, causing me to reach out with my other hand, forcing her to lock eyes with me.

"I'm serious about this, Evita," Her eyes stayed locked with mine as she swallowed, "I know what I told you that night. Throughout this entire thing, you've stood by me and have been willing to hurt yourself for our relationship to work. You've proven time and time again during the last six months that you love me, that you were willing to do anything to make this work, and it's time that I return all of that love you've given me by giving you what you've desired,"

"I didn't want you to marry me by force,"

"And I'm not. Back in the store, please stay with me for the next three months, but that's not what came out. That wasn't my mind speaking for me; that was my heart. I want you until the day I die." Wiping away her tears, I watched as she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply before slowly allowing herself to release the air from her lungs. After what seemed like a minute, she opened her eyes and nodded, telling me she's ready. Giving her a small smile, I released my hold on her and got out of the car, quickly making my way to the other side to open the door for Evita.

As soon as she had stepped out, her dress fell to the floor, causing me to reach down and lift it, so it didn't drag against the floor. Evita looked at me, then the courthouse, taking in the fact that my entire family is looking at us, but the media as well. Biting my lip, I gave out a heavy sigh and reached down, lifting Evita's bridal style. She gave out a scream of surprise from this, officially catching everyone's attention. I bit back my laughter as I started to make my way towards the courthouse while carefully maintaining a safe distance from the reporters who had been taking pictures and asking us questions.

I had officially been the only Luther child who was getting married. This sort of news would make headlines for weeks. The story would make these outlets gain a mass following and an increase in net worth. It had been a joke, especially with the fact that Jake was willing to capitalize on my marriage the way he was.

"Miss. Luther, how does it feel being the only Luther heiress to get married to someone below you in wealth?" I stopped walking at this and turned to look at the reporter who had asked this. While their question had been masked, I knew well that they wanted to know if she had been a gold digger. A smile tugged at my lips as I set Evita down and gestured for Jake to escort her to the top of the stairs. Jake held back his urge to roll his eyes and stepped down, grabbing Evita, a fake smile plastered on his lips as he made sure that she didn't fall.

"My wife's wealth," I started, emphasizing the word wife, "Has nothing to do with my love for her. My title as a Luther heiress has nothing to do with my marriage to this woman. You were given the privilege to be here during a critical moment in my life, and I ask that you respect that." With this, I continued making my way up the stairs, well aware of Athena's eyes on me. I had kept my attention on Evita, though. While our outfits weren't exactly wedding material - a simple three-piece suit for me and a white, off-the-shoulder lace dress for Evita - it was still a beautiful moment. Evita's hair had been braided off to the side in a fishtail-style braid, allowing me to see her face fully. Her ring had glistened in the sunlight, surely gaining the attention of some of the photographers. The ring had not been over the top, but it was the ring they would talk about for months.