"Wait, Suzanna, I have to speak to you. It's about Duke Wilson."

"What is it?" Suzanna asked, tied between anxiety and hope.

"One of his servants arrived with a letter. There was an illness outbreak in the duchy - he did not think he would be able to attend the wedding. I am afraid he will not be coming. I hope you are not too disappointed."

Disappointment was not on the list of Suzanna's emotions. She did her best to hide her joy and relief from her father. All the anxiety she had been feeling lifted off from her in one perfect moment. Suzanna wanted to sing for joy. Thank you, God. Thank you for protecting me. She knew in her heart that God was looking after her through this situation.

"That is a shame, Father," Suzanna finally replied.

"You do not seem too disappointed," he observed with a wry grin.

Suzanna smiled and gave another shrug. "This day is too wonderful for anything to lessen my spirit." There was one thing, however, that could disappoint her, Suzanna realised. "Father, do you know if Sir Samuel and Sir William have returned from their journey?"

"I am afraid I have not seen them. I am sure that whatever is holding them up is important," Father answered.

"They said they would be back in time for the wedding," Suzanna sighed.

"And I am sure they will do everything they can to make sure that happens. I doubt William would sacrifice watching his sister's wedding."

He had made a valid point. Suzanna straightened her shoulders, sure that she would get to see Samuel today. It dawned on her that it was not so much anxiety that made her want to see him, but more the fact that she was missing him terribly.

Suzanna said goodbye to her father with a cheery wave, determined to love every minute of the day even if Samuel was not there. Suzanna continued where she had left off and dashed down the halls. She ran quickly until she arrived at Rose's door and eagerly knocked. A maidservant answered and curtsied when she saw it was the Princess. She moved to the side to allow Suzanna to enter.

"Rose!" Suzanna cheered happily. Her dear friend and soon-to-be sister was seated in front of a looking glass, three maidservant's around her. Rose was glowing. Absolutely glowing. Suzanna rushed over to her and, instead of talking, squealed.

Rose looked startled; then she started to laugh. It was chiming, full of joy and excitement.

"You look beautiful!" Suzanna enthused, studying her friend. Rose was dressed in a pale blue dress, the customary colour of brides. It was beautiful and fit for a Princess - no, a Queen. Tristan would not be able to look away, Suzanna knew that much.

Her hair was about half done. The maidservants were making quick work of pulling her hair up into a loose, curly bun, weaving flowers into the hairstyle. Suzanna felt herself tearing up. Rose had come so far - from a small, broken, lonely beggar; to a healthy, joyful, loved future Queen.

Rose reached up and Suzanna squeezed her hand quickly.

"You look beautiful too, Suzy," Rose answered. Her voice was steady and calm, she was clearly not nervous. Her eyes were alight with joy and love.

"How are you feeling?"

"Wonderful. Ready. I cannot wait to marry Tristan."

"And I cannot wait to have you as my sister!"

The two girls grinned at each other. Suzanna stayed with Rose for the rest of the morning, helping her prepare and running any last-minute errands.