Chapter 1: Intruder

Chapter 1: Darkness Begins

~

*

~

*
~

"Do you want to watch the game?"

"Dad, you know I don't like football."

"You do too."

"Broncos are your favorite team."

"Yeah, four years ago, when I was fourteen." I said rolling my eyes, as I sat on the couch.

"You are getting pretty old."

"Eighteen isn't old, dad."

"I remember when I was eighteen."

I let out a groan, "Not again."

"Hey I'm just saying, it' time to start working."

"Yeah, I'll keep that in mind."

"Are you sure you don't want to watch the game?"

"I'm positive." I stopped liking football around the time my mother passed away. Four years ago she had a tumor that turned into cancer. The doctors couldn't save her. Every since then, my dad started drinking. After a couple times of seeing my dad stumble through the door, I began to avoid him. I can tell he's lonely. Lately, I've been lonely too, ever since my best friend, Sarah moved to Seattle.

"Oh come on! You call that a pass!?" I flinched as my father screamed at the television. He picked the remote up, changing the channel. "Disease Out Break-" I heard the lady say from the television. My dad changed the channel, switching from CSI, to Teen Mom.

"Hey go back!" I whined.

"No, you are not making me watch Teen Mom, I have seen almost every episode thanks to you!"

"No, no, go back to the news. There was something going on about a disease."

"Yes, there is plenty of diseases, called STD's that's what happens when you have sex, then you die."

"Dad," I whined. "go back! This is no time for joking!" I reached over, making an effort to get the remote.

"Fine." He said clicking to the news.

"A new out break has spread, leaving scientist, and doctors confused. Scientist have no idea what type of disease this is. Live from Washington, Scientist Simon Fitzgerald."

Virus? I thought to myself.

I watched as an older man appeared on the screen. "We've never seen anything like this before. It seems to be some sort of virus, spreading like a wild fire. If you, or a family member show signs of any kind including: yellowing of the eyes, yellow skin, distortion of vision, hallucinations, unsatisfying hunger, and insomnia. You need to get to the hospital as soon as possible. We have the virus under control. Luckily we caught the people with the out break, and we have them under containment. Do not be alarmed."

"This is the ten o'clock news, stay tuned after eleven, to see more details."

"Oh what a bunch of baloney. Has the media sunk so low, they have to make new diseases up now too?"

"Maybe, it's real." I said defensively.

"Have you not seen the media, it's all lies."

"When does the news ever lie?"

"That..that one time, when they said Michael Jackson was dead."

"Dad, Michael Jackson actually did die." I said rolling my eyes.