Chapter 13

"I know something's going on."

Mason sat down on Liam's bed beside Tessa. Liam was on her other side.

"With both of you actually, though Tessa's much better at hiding it."

Mason looked pointedly at Liam who looked at the floor like it was the most interesting thing he'd ever seen.

"I know you don't want to talk about it. But you're still my best friends. And um..." Mason trailed off, "considering the fact that the last good friend I made turned out to be a professional killer, I'm thinking that I don't have too many options for new ones."

Tessa winced, remembering Garrett and Violet.

"So, when you guys are ready to talk, talk." He continued. "Until then, I know I can kick your ass at at least one of these games."

Liam smiled and Tessa scoffed, raising her eyebrows at their friend.

Mason hesitated. "I know I can kick Liam's ass at at least one of these games?" he corrected.

Tessa nodded in approval. Liam chose a game, holding it up for their approval.

"Never played this one," he said.

"Bring it on, boys," Tessa smirked.

They laughed and the three sat at the end of Liam's bed, Tessa ready to kick some ass.

~~~

Tessa woke up the next morning, exhausted and dreading going to school. Today was their big lacrosse game and most of their team still sucked. There was a very small chance that they would actually win.

Liam and Tessa were currently following Stiles, their lacrosse gear in hand as he rambled on about Scott.

"Everything's fine. I got a text from him this morning and he said he might be a little late."

"Well, how late is late?" Tessa asked.

"Is he always late?" Liam questioned. "We're playing Devenford Prep again and this times it's an actual game. He shouldn't be late."

"Who shouldn't be late?"

"Shit," Tessa muttered as coach approached them.

Stiles and Liam looked at each other and then they both turned to Tessa.

She sighed. Idiots.

"Scott and Kira," she explained.

"They might be slightly late," Stiles added.

"Wh—wh—wh—wha—Slightly late is still late" Coach stammered. "What're they doing?"

Liam and Tessa glanced down awkwardly.

"They're—" Stiles paused. "They're doing something that's going to make them slightly late."

"What could Scott and Kira be doing right now that's more important than playing in the first game?"