Chapter 1

Kelly's POV

Today is the day the no parent could ever forget, the day their children leave for college. As I stand in my bed room my entire child hood memories flood through my mind. I remember the day that I moved to Washington; I was excited and scared at the same time. I remember my first high school dance was here and it's where I had my first kiss. This room s always full of laughter and joy but now it just feels empty.

My bed takes up most the room and everything else is still were it should be but it doesn't feel right. I remember for my thirteenth birthday I wanted a room make over so I had my dad paint a giant peace sign on my wall. Two years after my father painted this he was killed in a car accident.

As I started to trace my fingers over his wonderful art work there was a knock on my bedroom door. "Time to go baby girl" my mother changed the day my father died. I can tell she is trying to hold back tears of my leaving, I run into her arms and she strokes my hair. "I'm going to miss you so much!" I can feel her tears on my shoulder.

I pulled back from her, my mother is only thirty-five but she looks as if she is fifty, and I can only blame myself. After my father died I shut myself down and I never allowed anyone in. "Don't forget mom I'm only two hours away" she smiled and dried her tears and stepped more into my room.

"I can't believe your all grown up" her fingers traced over the peace sign "Your father would be so proud of you". After a few minutes of silence my mother lets go of the wall, fixes her blouse and walks out of my room. I take one last look around and turn off the light and head to the living room.

My mom is sitting at the counter drinking her coffee. I feel bad for her because she was my only friend after my father passed. Once he was gone I stopped talking to everyone even her for a couple years. She sent me to shrinks and therapist and that's why she looks the way she looks, because of me.

"Honey you're going to miss orientation if you don't beat it" she tried to hide her tears again. "Okay mom I love you" she walked over to me and gave me hug then ran up stairs before she started crying again. I took one last look at my house, grabbed my purse and keys then headed outside to my truck.

I loaded everything last night so I could sleep in a few extra minutes even though its 6 am, orientation doesn't start tell noon. I turned up my radio and headed out onto the open road. I will be tending WSU and I'm a little worried that my high school experience will be like college.

After an hour of driving my stomach started to grumble, how did I forget breakfast? I pulled into the next gas station. I walked over to the coffee station and grabbed a cup and I also grabbed a muffin while I was at it. I remember my dad made coffee every morning.

I remember the first time he made me try black coffee, I thought it was discussing but now I love it. "Excuse me?" someone tapped my shoulder "Oh sorry my bad, I guess I was just in deep thought" I turn around to find a boy about my age. "Don't sweat it, my name is Ryan" I smiled "I'm Kelly" he smiled and grabbed his coffee.

We both walked over to the cashier and paid for our things. "It was nice to meet you Kelly" I nodded "And to you as well". College should be a breeze if I'm talking to people in a gas station. Ryan was very interesting he had short brown hair, tall, and very fit. He seemed like a very nice boy but I did however notice a tattoo of a moon on his back left shoulder.

I jumped into my car and headed off to my future once again. I plan to major in literature and become a world famous author, but I also plan to major in psychology so become a counselor. I find it ironic that a girl who wouldn't talk to anyone for two years wants to be a counselor but I want to so people don't have to go through what I had to.

After what seemed like hours upon hours of a drive I finally pulled into the WSU campus. I got out of my truck and walked over to a sign that said Freshmen Dorm Check In. "Hello my name is Kelly Ringer" the young woman smiled at me and went through a sheet of paper work. "Ah here we are, Kelly Ringer room 206, your roommate as already checked in" I smiled and I got my room hey and headed back to my truck.

I drove over to the facility A and grabbed my suit case; I can get the rest of my stuff later. I finally reached my room and opened the door. No one was in here but a person's stuff was already unpacked. I saw posters on the wall of females, I wonder if my roommate is a lesbian, god I hope not. I put my suitcase on my bed and unpacked my things into the dresser and placed a picture of my dad next to my bed side table.

As I was pinning up a picture on my wall a person walked into my room. I was holding two tacks in my hand but I dropped one "Here let me get that" My roommate sure has a deep voice. "Thank you" and we hung my poster. I turned around to finally see what my roommate looked like and my mouth about dropped to the floor.

"Hello my name is Jackson, but you can all me Jack" I did not know what to say. "Your... you're... a..." he laughed "A guy" I plopped back down onto my bed. "And your name is?" I looked back up at him "Sorry my name is Kelly, I just didn't know my roommate was a guy" he sat down onto his bed. "You know you signed up for this dorm?"

My mind flashed back to my computer when I was looking through dorms, now it makes more sense on why this dorm was ten times cheaper. "I'm sorry for not saying much I just didn't know I was signing up for this" my hands were gesturing between the two of us. "You didn't read the fine print that said opposite sex rooms?" he laughed and lay back on his bed.

So far I'm not to found of his sarcasm but he isn't too bad looking either. He seems about 6'3 with black hair, he seems to be pretty physically fit but what I seemed to notice most was his eyes. They shinned with a deep blue and if they caught the light right they seemed to glow.

"What are you staring at" damn he caught me. "Nothing I'm just confused" orientation doesn't start for another hour and a half but I'm not going to sit in here with him, I got off my bed and slipped on my vans and grabbed my purse "Were are you going?" why does he care? "Out, I'm not going to sit alone in a room with a guy I don't know" he laughed again "Oh please, as if you aren't thrilled to share a room with me"

"So that's the kind of guy you are?" he sat up and looked confused "What?" now it was my turn to laugh at him. "You're one of those guys who is a complete ass hole who thinks that their all that, but sorry sweetie the world doesn't work like that" his face went from confused to angry; he jumped to his feet and made a huge thud. "And what about you huh? Your probably one of those prissy girls who gets whatever they want from their daddy" my eyes started to water.

His eyes darted away from mine to the picture of my dad by my bed side table. "Shit, your dad isn't alive is he?" I shook my head and sat back down on to my bed. "Look I'm sorry I said that, if it makes you feel any better my dad bailed on us" my eyes stopped watering "us?" he grabbed something out of his pocket and handed it to me, it was a picture of him and a girl from years ago.

"My sister and I grew up in foster homes; our mother was a drug addict and she over dosed when I was three and she was seven, my dad left us alone in a trailer park about a year after that and my sister raised me until I was eleven" I suddenly felt bad for a man that I don't even know. "What happened after that?" he swiped the picture away from my hand and tucked it back into his pocket "Nothing alright, so leave it at that"

"My father died in a car crash when I was fifteen" he looked back over at my photo "You look just like him, except you're a brunette and he was a black hair" his words brought a smile to my face. "Okay so we got off to a bad start, can we start over?" I kicked off my shoes and stood up "Hello my name is Kelly Ringer" he smiled and shook my hand "My name is Jackson Dade but you can call me Jack"