Chapter Thirty-Nine: I Need You

Start from the beginning

It doesn't matter what they wanted or valued. They're gone. "Is...is my sister o-okay?" I shiver.

"She was with her fiancé at the time. She is shaken up, but doesn't appear to blame you." Dumbledore says. "Your parents' estate will be divided between the two of you. Tomorrow, Professor McGonagall will take you to your house to see if there is anything you wish to keep. If it would help, you may bring a friend. I will excuse you from class for the rest of the week."

I nod numbly. Too much... They're gone...

"I will take you back to your dorm," McGonagall says gently. Placing a hand on my arm, she guides me out of the office.

........................

Remus' POV

I sit down between Alice and James. I glance around the table. "As anyone seen Lily? She wasn't in Arithmancy this afternoon." I state.

Alice shrugs. "She wasn't in Potions either. She missed lunch too."

I shrug. "Maybe, she's busy with Head Duties."

James shakes his head at me. "All of the Head Duties for this week were finished. Besides, if it was Head stuff, I'd likely be involved too." He frowns slightly.

"So, how does the Heads stuff work now, since you're not speaking to each other?" Sirius inquires from the other side of James.

"She draws a line on the list. I do half and she does the other half. If we have to talk then we talk." James grabs a bun from the platter in front of him.

Dinner drags on and Lily doesn't show. I look around to see if I can see her. I notice Sirius and Alice doing the same thing.

Peter looks up from his mountain of food. "I heard a rumour about Lily. Some girls claim to have seen her walking with Minnie. Apparently, her eyes were puffy like she'd been crying."

"I don't usually put much stock in something like that." I admit. "But maybe we should see."

James sighs. "I wouldn't if I were you. If Lily's upset, it's best to leave her alone for awhile."

Alice opens her mouth to argue, but closes it. It reminds me all too well, that out of all of us, even Alice, James knew her the best- and likely still does. They dated for about four months. I think those four months were the happiest that I'd ever seen either of them. They were in love. I don't know what changed for James, but something other than what he claimed is the case. It isn't hard to tell that he still loves her. I can see in the way that he stares when he doesn't realize anyone's watching. I just don't know why he said that.

Lily is changing too. She's even more intense with her studying. I know it's her way of dealing with change, but it's hard to watch her. She always has her nose in a book these days. Her grades have been higher than usual, but she's not happy.

"I think that we should check anyways!" Alice protests, pulling me out of my thoughts.

James looks at us. "Alright. I'll make you a deal, when I'm done eating, I'll go to the Head dorm and check on her. I have to get some stuff anyways. Plus, she'll rip of my head not yours."

"Why?" Alice asks.

James bites his lip. "It's complicated. I need to tell her that I'm sorry anyways." He admits.

"She's not going to welcome you back, James." Alice says sharply. "You broke her heart into a million pieces. I've had a hell of a time helping her put it back together."

James looks at Alice. "I know, but she deserves to know that it isn't her fault." He pauses. He says in a low voice. "Mum is in a coma."

"WHAT?" Sirius says in disbelief. His fork clatters to the table. "She's in a coma? And you didn't tell me! She's like my mother too, James."