Dark brown eyes studied him behind long lashes. "Then I shall be blunt. I do not wish to marry one of your cousins."

"No one is forcing you to do that."

"My father was," she explained. "In case Tessa refused Myzian, or if she lost the throne somehow. I was the fallback plan."

"Except now the throne is mine," Jaden said. "Which your father didn't plan for."

"No, he didn't." Zemisha tilted her head, sleek brown locks tinting gold in the sunlight. "I've been studying your country, you know. In my father's empire, women are seen as weak and useless, except for the occasional son popping out. Here things are changing, evolving. And I happen to like it. In my studies, I've discovered something very interesting. Could I share it with you?"

"Go ahead." She'd been slowly leaning closer, and now he could smell her floral perfume.

"I read this fascinating book about last century's religious reform, and—"

"Wait, I thought the priests had destroyed all those books?"

Zemisha smiled. "Oh, they tried, but the castle's librarian was able to save a few. I was very eager to read about the forgotten gods. There were seven before."

"So I've heard." Jaden returned the smile, his interest piqued.

"Which makes sense, considering the seven-tipped star we see everywhere. So I had to wonder, why such devotion for gods that can be discarded on the whims of some human priests?"

"Indeed."

"In Azuria we worship many gods, half of which are goddesses. Here I was saddened to find only one female goddess for three male gods. That is, until I discovered that before the reform, Fellerans had four goddesses. I wonder who felt the need to change things."

"Men," Jaden said, making her laugh.

"Things were different in those times, did you know? More sexual liberty, more acceptance and even celebration of people with different lifestyles and preferences . . ."

"Where are you getting at with all this?"

She took a deep, steadying breath. "It is my belief that a king is stronger with a queen by his side."

Feeling somewhat disoriented, Jaden said, "Zemisha . . . we hardly know each other."

She shrugged one shoulder. "So let's get to know each other. Let me assist the council meetings. I hear you need a new scribe? I've been meaning to practice my written Felleran."

"Well that request I can certainly grant."

She smiled. "Thank you. I look forward to it. But to finish what I was saying, if you choose me as your queen, I will never care if you sleep with someone else, be it woman or man. Our marriage would be more of a partnership. I'm still very young, I'm aware of that, but so are you. We could learn and grow together. I don't want to go back to Azuria, Jaden. I don't want a husband that sees only my body and ignores my mind."

Jaden didn't know what to say as she rose and walked away. She glanced back at him before reaching the door. "Oh and, if you go to war against my father, I will happily fight him alongside you."